PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] X issues with 8.10 (in Ku, Xu, and U)

digger4ubuntu
January 27th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I have tried installing 8.10 via the following CD's:

Kubuntu 8.10 Desktop AMD64
Kubuntu 8.10 Desktop i386
Kubuntu 8.10 Alternate AMD64
Kubuntu 8.10 Alternate i386
Xubuntu 8.10 Desktop i386
Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop i386

All of them fail. The desktop CD's get to the point where X loads, the background splashes if using the Live Boot option, and then the installer windows load but remain blank. I can move the mouse but it's "loading animation" (think rotating hourglass) freezes and the system is hung. I have to hard cycle via the power button. If I use the Alt discs I can get it installed via the text installer but the same thing happens after KDE loaded. I installed ssh in those instances and was able to get into the box after the hang. Xorg was chewing 100% CPU. I assume it was doing the same when I was using the graphical installer or live boot.

My hardware is an AMD64 X2 4200, 2GB DDR, eVGA 8800 GT. Nothing too special or old either. I will add a lspci output when I get 8.04 loaded back on it. (BTW 8.04, WinXP, and Win7 all run fine)

Has anyone else seen this with 8.10? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot of time on it as 8.04 will suffice but would like to troubleshoot some if it will benefit others. This hardware is fairly common and a Windows convert would have given up a long time ago. I'd like help resolve it so as a community we don't lose any potential new users. Thoughts?