PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing songbird error

jhann
January 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
First of all I have to apologise, my knowledge on ubuntu is extremely low but i'm trying to expand and learn with it so bare with me :)

RIGHT, well I'm trying to install songbird from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Songbird

I've followed what it told me to do with the script, sounds easy right? so I copied it into my terminal and it started working away and I thought "great! easy!"

It got to the end of it all and said the following

james@james-desktop:/tmp$ zenity --info --text="After you refresh your menus, Songbird should be available as an application within the menus. If not, the launcher for Songbird should use the command Songbird (with a capital S). \n \nEnjoy!"bash: !": event not foundse the command Songbird (with a capital S). \n \nEnjoy!

It didn't install anything like the link I gave you above told me to, songbird appeared in my list of applications but when I try to open it it says

Failed to execute child process "Songbird" (No such file or directory)

Which should seem pretty simple, but I thought it was going to install it all.

I mean there's also a "install using .deb but i've read a bit about that and it just confuses me.

sorry if this has already been covered in another thread. Like I say i've only just started and i'm tryin to learn. Thanks :)

mynydd
January 27th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I have only just downloaded it and it works.
I downloaded it from here http://www.getdeb.net/release/3519
Oh, it downloads to the desktop, double click and follow the instructions.

sancho panza
January 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Its usually the easiest to install via synaptic, the next using a .deb file and the last using a script.

Installing from the .deb should involve simply clicking the download link to the .deb file and firefox would offer to open it using the GDebi installer and install the package automatically. If not, download the .deb file and then open it using GDebi (should be somewhere in the Applications menu) and click the Install button.

jhann
January 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
oh right, i'll give them ago. Thanks guys :) I'll be back!