PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Top and bottom panels gone

pzs
January 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I crashed by machine (it hung completely - quite rare) opening up lots of audio windows in Firefox (don't ask). When I rebooted, I didn't have panels at the top and bottom. I still have a .gnome2 directory and my hotkeys and media keys still seem to work, but no panels, no menus and no notification apps.

Another thing I did that may have caused these problems besides the crash was that I uninstalled Evolution. Normally, I wouldn't uninstall and application I don't use, but Evolution offends me so I removed it along with about a dozen packages that came with it. Perhaps this did some damage? I've tried reinstalling Evolution, but that hasn't made any difference - maybe it didn't reinstall all the dependents somewhere?

Does apt have a log of packages recently added/removed? I could restore all of them and see if that fixes it.

RomeReactor
January 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi. To restore all the packages in a default Ubuntu installation, try:

sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

However, you could also try this to recover the panels:

gconftool-2 --shutdown

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

pkill gnome-panel

pzs
January 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM
The first option worked. Somewhere, I had actually removed gnome panel and gnome apps. I'll check the removelist more carefully next time.

I also discovered that you can autocomplete on apt-get install, which is very useful.