PDA

View Full Version : Jabber

Bölvağur
January 27th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Hi, I'm moving over to Jabber and would like to know if you would expect the service going down at any time?

Like if a server goes down.
Or if it is possible that if I have 1 gmail account added to my other jabber account, would those two ever have chance of not being able to communicate?

Johnsie
January 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure if jabber is even used by people anymore. If it is then you can run your own server and therefor be responsible for any up/downtime that occurs. Alternatively you could probably find one hosted by someone else and ask them what their uptime is.

Dr Small
January 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'm not sure if jabber is even used by people anymore. If it is then you can run your own server and therefor be responsible for any up/downtime that occurs. Alternatively you could probably find one hosted by someone else and ask them what their uptime is.
Of course people still use it. I use it, and so does all of my friends, and their friends. Jabber is widely used. I run my own Jabber server.

Let's picture the setup like this.

[Server 1] ... [Server 2] ... [Server 3]
[Joe] ........ [Bob] ........ [Dan]

Joe, Bob and Dan are all on different servers, and each are friends and have each other in their contacts list. If Server 2 would go down, Joe and Dan would still be able to communicate to each other.

With MSN, you have:

.......[ Server 1].......
[Bob] ... [Joe] ... [Dan]

If Server 1 goes down, neither Bob, Joe nor Dan can communicate to each other, because they are all connecting to the same server. Not to mention, all messages pass through 1 server and can be logged (and we know that they do use filters).

The decentralized method of Jabber servers ensures that one organization alone can not log all of your conversations or filter your messages.

Bölvağur
January 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I guess if the server I connect to would go down I would either need to wait or make new account at another server?

Polygon
January 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I guess if the server I connect to would go down I would either need to wait or make new account at another server?

pretty much. i use the jabber.org servers and sometimes those go down but they dont stay down for more then like 20 minutes

FuturePilot
January 30th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Of course it is. There's a lot of people that use Jabber. I use it myself.

conehead77
January 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Of course it is used and with the rise of Google i think more people use it than before. Everybody with a Gmail address has automatically a Jabber account!