PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hardy to intrepid nvidia

emtjr928
January 27th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I am running hardy with the nvidia driver I installed with envyng 173.14.12. I am toying around with an update to intrepid but don't want to break the driver. Can anyone tell me if this is a safe update using synaptic? I have a live cd but for the first time I have had problems running the live cd as when I choose to run with no changes, after a while it goes to the command line.
I have been a user since edgy and really like it other than x getting broken during about half of the upgrades. On one I even had to use an old diamond card to install and work through the problems so that I could use accel. graphics of my newer nvidia card.
Thanks Ed

Pumalite
January 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
You are talking about an 'upgrade' not an update. Upgrades are tricky. You have to backup all your data and you have to reinstall your driver if that is what you want. In Intrapid I'd install the driver with the 'Hardware Drivers'.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

emtjr928
January 29th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Just to follow up. Big kudos. This was the easiest upgrade yet. Even found my nvidia card and installed the latest driver for me. Only downside was a slow connection on their end. Now to reconfigure my vmserver.