PDA

View Full Version : Sun's protective 'bubble' is shrinking

sdowney717
January 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3222476/Suns-protective-bubble-is-shrinking.html

Measurements made by the Ulysses deep space probe, which was launched in 1990 to orbit the sun, have shown that the pressure created inside the heliosphere by the solar wind has been decreasing.

Dr David McComas, principal investigator on the IBEX mission, said: "It is a fascinating interaction that our sun has with the galaxy surrounding us. This million mile an hour wind inflates this protective bubble that keeps us safe from intergalactic cosmic rays.

"With less pressure on the inside, the interaction at the boundaries becomes weaker and the heliosphere as a whole gets smaller."

If the heliosphere continues to weaken, scientists fear that the amount of cosmic radiation reaching the inner parts of our solar system, including Earth, will increase.

This could result in growing levels of disruption to electrical equipment, damage satellites and potentially even harm life on Earth.

cl333r
January 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm afraid that before this hits the people we're gonna get hit by the global warming which is melting the ice a lot faster than projected and has the snowball effect.

Johnsie
January 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I believe the weather works in hot and cold cycles and has done so for many years. Nature has some pretty powerful ways of looking after itself.

MaxIBoy
January 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
UPDATE: After having done my research, I can now say that what I originally posted was completely and entirely false. I still wouldn't worry about personal safety, but those cosmic rays can apparently be pretty bad for satellites.

Still, it would take a very long time for anything to happen-- plenty enough time to start putting more shielding on our satellites.

lukjad007
January 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Did anyone else think that this thread was about OpenOffice.org and how there were problems with Sun Microsystems? :)

sydbat
January 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Did anyone else think that this thread was about OpenOffice.org and how there were problems with Sun Microsystems? :)That's why I checked it out!

/home
January 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM
That's why I checked it out!
Me too

arubislander
January 27th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Me too
Guilty also!

Frak
January 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
That's why I checked it out!
+3

I was like, "Sun has a protective bubble?"

lukjad007
January 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Heh. Well, at least OpenOffice is safe!

sydbat
January 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Heh. Well, at least OpenOffice is safe!Unless it flares up and destroys...um...never mind...

mihai.ile
January 27th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Thank god Open Office is safe. :)

I was also thinking about the other "Sun"

Firestem4
January 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I tend to ignore these sort of things...Because honestly...next they'll want us to start worrying that the sun is going to die in 5billion years. I think its time we all started preparing..I have..Have you!?

Firestem4
January 27th, 2009, 06:38 PM
On a side note- i love astronomy, sci-fi, and all things space in general so its not just my ineptitude for the above statement =)

Dragonbite
January 27th, 2009, 07:09 PM
+3

I was like, "Sun has a protective bubble?"

ditto.

Face it, by the time a lot of these things have happened, we'll have made a mess of the Earth and the rich will have climbed into space ships and are interstellar nomads while the poor(er) are stuck here trying to fix the world.

lukjad007
January 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I think he was referring to Sun Microsystems, but maybe that's just me...

Frak
January 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I think he was referring to Sun Microsystems, but maybe that's just me...
I think he was referring to that also...

I'm not Frak, so I wouldn't know :(

sydbat
January 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
ditto.

Face it, by the time a lot of these things have happened, we'll have made a mess of the Earth and the rich will have climbed into space ships and are interstellar nomads while the poor(er) are stuck here trying to fix the world.Sorta like this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starlost)?? Even more (http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/star.html)!

lukjad007
January 27th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I think he was referring to that also...

I'm not Frak, so I wouldn't know :(
:shock:
ZOMG!!! Frak's account has been compromised! Call the mods!

Frak
January 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
:shock:
ZOMG!!! Frak's account has been compromised! Call the mods!
Teh Frak is teh spy!

O.O

lukjad007
January 27th, 2009, 08:35 PM
It admits it! Get the torches and pitchforks!!!

Frak
January 27th, 2009, 08:38 PM
It admits it! Get the torches and pitchforks!!!
No spycheck! No spycheck! Pyro, no flamie! Pyro, no flamie!

/TF2-reference

FuturePilot
January 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Did anyone else think that this thread was about OpenOffice.org and how there were problems with Sun Microsystems? :)

Exactly what I was thinking.

lukjad007
January 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM
No spycheck! No spycheck! Pyro, no flamie! Pyro, no flamie!

/TF2-reference

/me doesn't get it, but laughs anyway.
/me sets the wood.

mkendall
January 27th, 2009, 10:26 PM
UPDATE: After having done my research, I can now say that what I originally posted was completely and entirely false. I still wouldn't worry about personal safety, but those cosmic rays can apparently be pretty bad for satellites.

Still, it would take a very long time for anything to happen-- plenty enough time to start putting more shielding on our satellites.

Does this mean I won't be getting any cool Mr. Fantastic super-stretchy super power?

Dammit.