PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Stuck at 6%

NuNn DaDdY
January 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I am trying to install Ubuntu on a buddy's computer with the alternate cd as we were unable to use the graphical one due to his computers specs not meeting the requirements. The installation begins normally but when I get to the "select and install" portion it hangs on 6% and a short time later prompts with an error message. I have checked the cd for defects and there is none, so is there a way to resolve this issue. Thank you in advance! :)

snowpine
January 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hi there,
What is the error message? :) Also, what are your buddy's computer's specs? If his ram is too low (I think 256mb is the minimum), that would explain the stalled installation.

NuNn DaDdY
January 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yep, his ram is too low. Others had recommended that I use the alternate cd to get around this issue. Is there any way to get through this?

snowpine
January 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
A ram upgrade is often inexpensive, and is the single best thing your friend can do to boost the performance of his computer. If he can get it up to 512mb or better, he should be able to run Ubuntu well (provided he also meets the other system requirements: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements).

If he's stuck with what he's got, there are lots of other Linux distros that demand fewer resources than Ubuntu. I can't give a specific recommendation, since you didn't tell me his computer's specs, but in my opinion, for Linux beginners using older hardware, you can't beat Puppy Linux. :)

NuNn DaDdY
January 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you for the advice. He actually has a spare desktop sitting right next to the one he is currently using. Would it be a fairly easy (or possible) operation to transfer the RAM out of the other desktop into the current one?

snowpine
January 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Different computers use different types of ram. If the two computers use the same kind of ram, and the original computer has a slot free, it should be possible. :)

NuNn DaDdY
January 27th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Alrighty, would the "dxdiag" command give me the information needed to see if the type of RAM is the same? Actually that won't help since the one computer is currently wiped "clean" of an OS....

russu52
January 27th, 2009, 06:37 PM
or try xubuntu - it uses less ram and runs much faster.

Tudot
April 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry to necro an old thread but I figured this was best rather than posting a whole new one.

I'm having this same, exact problem but on the xubuntu 8.10 alternate CD.

I'm running an old computer with 128 RAM and a 733Mhz P3 processor. (40G HDD) A friend told me that the xubuntu alt should work with that little RAM.

The only error message I'm getting is that the installation step failed and I can try the step again from the menu. It doesn't give an exact reason of what exactly failed or why.

Any ideas?

Tudot
April 19th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I've double checked the md5sum and made sure the download is ok. I then burned another disk at 4x to make sure it wasn't a burning error.

I'm still getting stuck at 6%... this is after formating the drive and setting partions... after setting up location information, language information and setting the system name and login name and password.

Once I try the step again, I get an option to choose "No automatic updates, Automatic updates or Manage updates with Landscape". No matter the option I choose, it continues to stick at 6%.

Still looking for an answer or idea...