PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] running nautilus from browser application

okusi
January 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
i am migrating my intranet application to ubuntu linux. one very handy thing that i could do under Windows™ was to launch the file explorer program from within a browser, so that users could be presented with all files in a client's folder.

i want to be able to do this using ubuntu. at the moment i am reduced to opening ftp windows, which is not a good interface for editing files.

is there a way i can launch nautilus from within a browser? i've tried using <? exec("/usr/bin/nautilus") ?> but this does nothing.

anyone have any useful comments or directions?

GrfyGrumpyBear
January 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM
It's because of IE and Explorer being tightly integrated in XP. IE 7 deintegrated them, disabling that. Firefox/Epiphany with nautilus were never integrated, so this behavious is impossible.

okusi
April 26th, 2009, 12:34 PM
i realise now that what i actually need is for javascript to be able to execute nautilus locally.

this should be possible, but my experiments thus far have failed! :(

anyone, any ideas? this is a make or break for me in terms of migrating my office intranet from Windows&trade; to completely Ubuntu.

okusi
January 9th, 2010, 05:02 AM
i realise now that what i actually need is for javascript to be able to execute nautilus locally.

this should be possible, but my experiments thus far have failed! :(

anyone, any ideas? this is a make or break for me in terms of migrating my office intranet from Windows&trade; to completely Ubuntu.

this has got to be possible. i mean, if google desktop can open documents and folders from within Firefox, us mortals must also be able to do it!!

is there a starving programmer out there looking for a challenge?

okusi
January 17th, 2010, 09:50 AM
is there a starving programmer out there looking for a challenge?
apparently not! ;)