PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Looking For Compiz Fusion

Tek-E
January 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Does anybody know where I can find a Compiz Fusion .deb???
I have looked around continuously but have come up with nothing.
Any help?

Thanks!

3rdalbum
January 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Compiz Fusion is preinstalled on Ubuntu. To configure it, you should install compizconfig-settings-manager - this will give you access to System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects where you can enable the cube, the burning windows, and all the other effects that you've seen on Youtube :-)

Tomatz
January 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Compiz Fusion is preinstalled on Ubuntu. To configure it, you should install compizconfig-settings-manager - this will give you access to System > Preferences > Advanced Desktop Effects where you can enable the cube, the burning windows, and all the other effects that you've seen on Youtube :-)

Install compizconfig-settings-manager with the synaptic package manager in system, administration

Compiz will only work with a half decent GPU (intel, nvidia, ATI). If you have one, check that the drivers are enabled in system, administration, hardware drivers.

Not all drivers will show there though. If you ctrl alt right-arrow and see a nice slide effect, compiz IS enabled.

;)

Tomatz
January 27th, 2009, 11:02 AM
BTW are you running Xubuntu?

[EDIT]

Obviously.

halovivek
January 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
you can try some more here (http://sonique54.free.fr/compiz-fusion/compiz-fusion.html)

talsemgeest
January 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Since the packages in the repositories are the same across ubuntu distributions, you should be able to install compiz fusion through synaptic package manager (I think synaptic is the default package manager in xubuntu.) Just do a search for compiz, and install the related packages.

Tek-E
January 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
BTW are you running Xubuntu?

[EDIT]

Obviously.

Im running Ubuntu 7.10 on one partition, and I am also running Xubuntu 8.10 on another partition. And sadly I still have a partition for windows xp :) why?

Tek-E
January 27th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Thank you for your help everybody!:)

Tomatz
January 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I personally haven't used Xubuntu since 7.04 and didnt know if compiz ran by default.

To install compiz fusion, do the following in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-gnome compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra libcompizconfig-backend-gconf

Then to make compiz autostart, add the following command to system, preferences, sessions:

compiz --replace

;)

Kevbert
January 27th, 2009, 06:07 PM
No. Compiz is an extra that you have to install all the components (at least in 8.04 Xubuntu). It can be a bit fiddly to get it going but it works.

sir4taye
January 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Compiz settings manager is installed and I'm able to change settings but I don't get the 3d effects. In fact I don't get any control of any settings using the manager. I'm on 8.10 amd64 2g ram scalable upto 128mb nvidia 6100 mobile on a presario f730us laptop. My compiz worked fine on the previous install.

sir4taye
January 28th, 2009, 10:44 AM

Tomatz
January 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Compiz settings manager is installed and I'm able to change settings but I don't get the 3d effects. In fact I don't get any control of any settings using the manager. I'm on 8.10 amd64 2g ram scalable upto 128mb nvidia 6100 mobile on a presario f730us laptop. My compiz worked fine on the previous install.

Open a terminal and post the output of:

compiz --replace

sir4taye
January 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
daddy@daddy-laptop:~$ compiz --replace
Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
Starting gtk-window-decorator
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

The terminal is frozen but the effects work now, but not after reset. I have to run this compiz --replace every time?

Running the script fowls more than just the terminal it screws the whole desktops ability to switch windows and shut down programs.

Tomatz
January 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
daddy@daddy-laptop:~$ compiz --replace
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Starting gtk-window-decorator

The terminal is frozen but the effects work now, but not after reset. I have to run this compiz --replace every time?

Add that command to System, Preferences, Sessions. Then compiz will autostart.

sir4taye
January 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
But if it will not finish this command, freeze up and lose functionality, it doesn't seem to be the fix. Am I wrong? Will I get different results if its auto run on startup?

Tomatz
January 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM
But if it will not finish this command, freeze up and lose functionality, it doesn't seem to be the fix. Am I wrong? Will I get different results if its auto run on startup?

It will lock the terminal up because the command is running in the terminal (ctrl C will end the command). If you add the command to sessions it will not run in a terminal and will be persistent ;)

EDIT (just re-read your post): Press alt F2 then run the command there (NOT in terminal) if all is good, then add it to sessions.

sir4taye
January 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
It will lock the terminal up because the command is running in the terminal (ctrl C will end the command). If you add the command to sessions it will not run in a terminal and will be persistent ;)

EDIT (just re-read your post): Press alt F2 then run the command there (NOT in terminal) if all is good, then add it to sessions.
thank you. it worked

Nightstrike2009
January 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I have also figured out how to get a Nvidia 6600GT graphics card to use the NVidia 177 drivers and run compiz desktop effects too (the 3D Cube) (there is a slight titlebar glitch but this affects most other compiz users to with Ubuntu 8.10), quite easily for Ubuntu 8.10 newcomers (involving no command lines, just .deb files) Which I have provided a thread link to provided below, I do use Gnome GUI though;

My NVidia 6600GT & Compiz How-to Thread Link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1035634

PS: I have included all .deb website locations for NVIDIA and Compiz in the How-to itself, also covers how to get cube-reflection effects, hope this helps you too :-)