PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 3 and other updates not appearin in Synaptic Package Manager

ub_wc
January 27th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Firefox 3 is not appearing in Synaptic Package Manager. 1.5 is the installed version, and 1.5 is listed as the latest available version. The same issue seems to be occuring for other software...for instance, googleearth does not appear in SPM either.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS. I have made sure multiverse and universe repositories are enabled. I have reloaded my packages.

Thanks for the help,
ub_wc

kerry_s
January 27th, 2009, 07:26 AM
ubuntu freezes everything at release, the only updates will be security. those are the versions that were current at the time of release.

is there any particular reason for using a old ubuntu version?

ub_wc
January 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I am not sure I understand. So anytime a new version of software (such as Firefox) is released, one must wait for the next Ubuntu release before it appears in the repositories? This seems counter-intuitive since the repositories are seperate from the actual Ubuntu release. Unless I am misunderstanding, the last post means one cannot update non-security software in Ubuntu.

I use Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS because that was the current release when I first installed Ubuntu. I have not felt the need to do a major Ubuntu update (at least until now).

Thanks again for the help,
ub_wc

diwas
January 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I am not sure I understand. So anytime a new version of software (such as Firefox) is released, one must wait for the next Ubuntu release before it appears in the repositories? This seems counter-intuitive since the repositories are seperate from the actual Ubuntu release. Unless I am misunderstanding, the last post means one cannot update non-security software in Ubuntu.

I use Ubuntu 6.06.2 LTS because that was the current release when I first installed Ubuntu. I have not felt the need to do a major Ubuntu update (at least until now).

Thanks again for the help,
ub_wc
No the above post means that the software which were latest are freezed if a new Ubuntu version is released. The new softwares will be available in the next ubuntu. However, you can always install the software you want from the source.

ub_wc
January 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Ahh I think I understand now. So it looks like I need to keep Ubuntu updated to the latest version for the latest software packages to appear.

Thanks!
ub_wc

diwas
January 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Ahh I think I understand now. So it looks like I need to keep Ubuntu updated to the latest version for the latest software packages to appear.

Thanks!
ub_wc
Yes, you are correct.
But if you want to install a new software, you can do that by downloading from the source, either getdeb or from their website.
Enjoy!