PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] prob with external monitor and window managers

originalsynthesis
January 27th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Could anyone tell me why when i use a straight up window manager like fluxbox or e16, the screen is too large to fit in my monitor. The quirk of my setup is im using a laptop with a frazzled screen, so i use an external monitor instead. This isn't fixable by changing the horiz size on my monitor either. All the DE's I;ve tried (gnome,xfce,e17) work fine in this regard. Fixes?

also, changing my nvidia res settings down to the setting im used to dont fix this either, the screen still requires scrolling, just has a grainier resolution.....

smartboyathome
January 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
E16 is very old (was released around 10 years ago, I think), so I wouldn't expect it to work. Fluxbox should work, but I am guessing it is because you need something like xinerrama to start up, but it isn't starting it up.

originalsynthesis
January 28th, 2009, 08:06 AM
E16 is very old (was released around 10 years ago, I think), so I wouldn't expect it to work

so, ive noticed. I downloaded a theme from freshmeat that came with a launcher menu and the button labeled 'internet' tries to fire up....NETSCAPE! nostalgia....
the odd thing is, i just dl'd e16 again, and it frames up my desktop more or less perfectly, where flux isn't doing so hot.

Fluxbox should work, but I am guessing it is because you need something like xinerrama to start up, but it isn't starting it up.

yeah, i tried enabling xinerama on my first attempt at installing flux. Im not, to say the least, the 'best' at doing source compiles, so if i configured xin right, i'll never know b\c i never got flux working on that try. so i did it the simple way and got it off synaptic, which didn't give an option to enable xinerama AFAI could tell....d'ya think i can do it after already installing it? or do i need to do a compile again (correctly this time, hopefully) and use .config to enable it.

originalsynthesis
January 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
hmm... just loaded fluxbox, from e16, and guess what, my desktop is framed just right! I have a feeling i shouldn't expect this to work from a direct bootup though.