PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu non responsive

POWMS
January 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Hello
I seem to be backed into a corner with Xubuntu.
I started the current update and my system hung.
I now cannot start the update manager (system hangs), or Firefox, or anything that requires authorisation ("unexpected error").
I have been trying to finish the update thru system recovery but my modem is now dropping out every 10 mins or so.
I tried to connect thru ADSL but for some reason Xubuntu won't recognise the connection and I cannot access my network settings to disable the internal modem as authorisation is required.
I am totally lost. I am tempted to delete the Ubuntu folder thru Windows and start again.
Is there anything else I could try before I do this?
Thanks.

cardinals_fan
January 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
It sounds like you installed Ubuntu with Wubi. That has caused issues with upgrades in the past. They may have been fixed though.

Are you upgrading to a new version, or is it just a regular security update?

POWMS
January 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
cardinals
I installed Xubuntu Hardy from a downloaded iso file (CD).
It is just a regular security update.
I don't think I can upgrade as I cannot even update for the moment.
Thanks.

cardinals_fan
January 27th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Strange. Are you running Compiz?

POWMS
January 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I just did a seach for 'Wubi', being an absolute beginner........
Yes, I did possibly do an installation using Wubi as I didn't partition the disk for the Linux install.
Would it be worth allocating a partition and making Xubuntu a permanent installation (rather than a 'virtual' one)?

POWMS
January 27th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I may have Compiz running. I did change my desktop a few weeks ago.
I'll check it when I get home and disable it if I have it enabled.
Thanks.

cardinals_fan
January 28th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Wubi is likely the problem.

POWMS
January 28th, 2009, 04:59 AM
cardinals
I checked my laptop last night, I don't have Compiz loaded but I unchecked the 'extra window effects' for my desktop and now I can at least authorise things, and finish the update.
Then I will look at a permanent hardrive install, there is a sticky under the Wubi forum.
Thanks for the guidance.

cardinals_fan
January 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM
No problem. Wubi is an awesome tool for getting your feet wet, but I recommend a regular HD install for daily use.