PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Getting a Laptop which?

natman
January 27th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Hi,
I am going to get a new laptop and of course will want Kubuntu on it. The ones im am looking at are HP pavillion but some have ATI gfx cards and others have nvidia. Everything else is just intel wi-fi and seem like it would be ok.
The other point is that the machine will have a HMDI port, will that work ok? ir is that dependent on the gfx support?
Im thinking of these ones:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho/WF25a/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-3744212.html

73ckn797
January 27th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Do a Google search and you will find what you want/need. I use a Toshiba and Ubuntu works "out of the box" on it. (see specs below)

natman
January 27th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Thanks, its just every machine i has put ubuntu on has had an nvidia card, and have heard that ubuntu and ATI are not so good together, just wanted to see if anyone has any ati experience

LostMagix
January 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I would try to stear away from compaq, there laptops have given me a lot of headaches.

73ckn797
January 27th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks, its just every machine i has put ubuntu on has had an nvidia card, and have heard that ubuntu and ATI are not so good together, just wanted to see if anyone has any ati experience

I personally have had too many issues with an ATI card. Nvidia has always worked for me. If you browse the forums you will see that there are people having issues with both. The Intel graphics on my Toshiba has always worked fine.

lkraemer
January 28th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Both of my Compaq's run Ubuntu just fine. I have an older V5201US
with 8.04.1 LTS and my new CQ50-139NR running 8.04.1 LTS. Both
have been good machines, and the good thing about Compaq, is you
can get all the XP Drivers, so downgrading to XP is easy. Plus the Compaq
site has manuals that you can download that tells you anything you want
to know about your machine. Most Brands don't include service manuals.

Plus, both of my Compaq's run the LiveCD Beta version (TR5) of PCLinuxOS,
and Wifi setup is a matter of clicking on Wifi and it works. NICE!

I did have to use the Alternate install CDR on the CQ50-139NR.

lkraemer

kspncr
January 28th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I would try to stear away from compaq, there laptops have given me a lot of headaches.

Maybe so, but my Compaq runs hardy like a champ (it ran Intrepid completely "out of the box").