PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vertical screen wrap

lingenfr
January 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
When running from the live CD, everything looked good. Now, after installed, about 1/4 of my bottom taskbar is on top. I have fooled with Appearance and tried changing resolution back and forth, but the wrap occurs in all resolutions. Is there a simple way to fix this? Thanks.

SOLUTION This is no longer a problem. It was fixed with the current driver (10.4)

(quoted from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1063875 )

So, I went into Synaptic and found xserver-xorg-video-intel. The installed version was 10.3. I highlighted that package and went to the menu Package>Force Version and selected version 10 and applied. I closed out and prevented it from updating. I rebooted and... YEAH! No more vertical wrap.

utnubuuser
January 27th, 2009, 01:43 AM
HI -- You should provide a little more info. Computer model video card, if any, etc.
code in terminal:
lspci

Have you tried
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

And it's not just the screen needs adjusting?

lingenfr
January 27th, 2009, 02:05 AM
You are absolutely right, sorry. It is a Toshiba Libretto U100.

lspci

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

Yes I did try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

No joy. It may be that the screen needs adjusting, but I can't figure out how.

utnubuuser
January 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Found a thread applicable to Feisty..

I assume you're in either 8.04 or 8.10? Is it using the intel driver? I've read that there've been some issues with the intel driver in 8.10 and that there is now a new one called ***-glx-180*** somthing or other. System>>Administration>>Hardware Drivers

Here's the thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421967

and a model specific thread:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/ToshibaLibrettoU100

lingenfr
January 27th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Thanks. If you notice, that's my wiki page :) No optional driver comes up when I check restricted drivers. BTW when I do the dpkg reconfigure it is not giving me a chance to select my driver. It goes straight to the keyboard settings. I followed the other thread and associated links. I did not see a good fit. I notice on the screen settings, it has selected a refresh of 54hz which is odd. There is no option to adjust it.

lingenfr
January 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM
I did a fresh install and got some info on the problem. After the install, the screen looked good. After the update, I had the screen wrap problem. It is not a kernel problem as booting with the previous kernel does not solve the problem.I assume it is a driver problem.

Tomatz
January 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
I did a fresh install and got some info on the problem. After the install, the screen looked good. After the update, I had the screen wrap problem. It is not a kernel problem as booting with the previous kernel does not solve the problem.I assume it is a driver problem.

Open a terminal and type:

metacity --replace

This will temporarily turn compiz off. Let us know the results.

PS. dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is now defunct use gksu displayconfig-gtk instead. Although this is a bit drastic at this stage ;)

lingenfr
February 1st, 2009, 12:15 AM
I tired it, no effect.

BTW: gksu displayconfig-gtk did nothing. I put in my password and then nothing.

Tomatz
February 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I tired it, no effect.

BTW: gksu displayconfig-gtk did nothing. I put in my password and then nothing.

Maybe a typo? Did you remember the dash?

lingenfr
February 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, I copied and pasted from your message. When I run it without the gksu it says command not found.

Tomatz
February 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Try installing it first :)

sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk

then

gksu displayconfig-gtk

Just try changing the resolution with the app first ;)

lingenfr
February 1st, 2009, 03:45 PM
lingenfr@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk
[sudo] password for lingenfr:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package displayconfig-gtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package displayconfig-gtk has no installation candidate

I am still looking, but obviously there is no package by that name in the default repositories.

Tomatz
February 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
lingenfr@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install displayconfig-gtk
[sudo] password for lingenfr:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package displayconfig-gtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package displayconfig-gtk has no installation candidate

I am still looking, but obviously there is no package by that name in the default repositories.

Seems intrepid no longer uses any xorg configuration method (IMO stupid):

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+question/50468

To check you are using the correct drivers:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel

Hope that helps.

P.s Have you tried changing the screen resolution in System, Preferences, Screen Resolution?

lingenfr
February 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks. As referenced in that link, I am also using the intel driver. I checked and I have the latest version. If you read the links referenced in the link you provided, for me it seems like xrandr may be my only hope. I found that it is provided by x11-xserver-utils which for me was already the newest version. I am going to play with that command and see what I can do.

And yes, of course, using the screen resolution tool was the first thing I tried. It offers no choices other than the current ones.

Also, I thought that I would take a screenshot so folks could see what I was talking about. Unfortunately, in the screenshot, it appears correctly. I took a picture with my camera which is not great, but I think you can get the idea. If you look at the bottom taskbar, you will see that about 30% of it is cut off. If you look at the top taskbar you will see that there is additional taskbar above the normal taskbar. It has some horizontal lines, etc. Check above the red button on the top right.

ingrambw
February 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I am having the very same problem on my Libretto running Kubuntu 8.10. Everything was perfect, then on Sunday I did all the updates sense the 22nd through the 1st and now I have the same wrap problem.

lingenfr
February 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, I expect we need to open a bug report for the intel driver. I will try and do that tomorrow. If you get there before me, please post a link so I don't post a duplicate.

ingrambw
February 3rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
I am pretty new to Kubuntu and Linux in general, and it looks like you have more background information on the problem, so I will defer to you for the ticket submission.

BTW. When I ran the re-configure on xserver.org it did ask if I wanted to use the framebuffer or not, both a yes and no resulted in the same results after a reboot for each.

lingenfr
February 3rd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Yes, same results for me, I should have stated that in my previous message. After going through all of the links previously alluded to, last night I deleted the monitors file under my home directory and reboot, no joy. I will post a link to the bug once I have opened the ticket.

Sebjectivist
February 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Me also having this problem on libretto U100 :(. tried everything in this thread plus adding modlines to xorg.conf and deleting/editing monitors.xml in ~/.config/

Maybe it's possible to use older intel driver for the time being?

lingenfr
February 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I am thinking the same thing. I am going to research how to roll back to the previous version of the driver. I think that I am going to mount my install CD as a repository and see if I can load that driver as it did not have this problem.

lingenfr
February 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Solved. Check the first post. Now to wait for an updated/fixed version. Wait for something newer than 10.3

Sebjectivist
February 10th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Sweet as!! thanks to you lingenfr, and to the creators of synaptic/ubuntu :-)

Mckormick
February 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I had the same problem on my Libretto U100 after an update - many thanks to the first poster for the fix.

lingenfr
April 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM
This is no longer a problem. It was fixed with the current driver (10.4)

monsieurps
June 23rd, 2010, 02:54 AM
Thanks lingenfr for this thread. Atleast I wasn't the only one who was having this problem. But I am seeing the problem on a 64-bit AMD desktop with the Ubuntu version that I installed yesterday (10.04 LTS 32-bit).
Veritcal screen wrap, with the mouse pointer offset by a few pixels to the north, taskbar partially visible .
The xserver video amd package version is, xserver-xorg-video-amd 2.11.8-4 and the geode package is, xserver-xorg-video-geode 2.11.8-4. Is it possible that the problem lies in the new geode package (and not the intel/amd driver) ?