PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] vnc packages

tullmejs
January 27th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hi, I have installed xubuntu and want to use vncserver. Now, if I type vncserver in terminal window, I am told that vncserver is not installed but can be found in two packages, tightvnc & vnc4server.

Cool.

But I do not find those packages, nor any other containing VNCserver, seeking for it or them in synaptic and the add/remove thing.

Please explain, why does not those two packages show? (I only see a couple of viewers)

(I post in absolute beginners since part of the confusement is not understanding packages management. I do find the app online.)

jpoRS
January 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I don't know if it will be different for Xubuntu (I doubt it will be but I just wanted to put that disclaimer out there).

Try putting this into a terminal:

apt-cache search vncserver

this searches the available packages for install and should show what you are looking for

If that does show the program you are looking for, type in

sudo apt-get install "program name"

Then enter your password, and it should install the program.

After that you should just be able to run the program from terminal.

Good luck!
jim

tullmejs
January 27th, 2009, 01:47 AM
That was smooth, thanks!

But still, what packages can be found in / by Synaptic, what is the logic behind it?

jpoRS
January 30th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I am not sure what the hard rule is, but I believe Synaptic only shows GUI packages, whereas the terminal method I recommended has access to everything.

Again, I am not positive that that is the case, but that is the impression that I have been given.

Glad things are working for you, and enjoy,
jim

cariboo
January 30th, 2009, 02:31 AM
You may want to update your package list, when I type vnc in synaptics quick search bar, checkout the screenshot for the results I get. To refresh the package list click the reload button.

Jim

tullmejs
January 30th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I am not sure what the hard rule is, but I believe Synaptic only shows GUI packages, whereas the terminal method I recommended has access to everything.

Again, I am not positive that that is the case, but that is the impression that I have been given.

Glad things are working for you, and enjoy,
jim

Thank you :-)

You may want to update your package list, when I type vnc in synaptics quick search bar, checkout the screenshot for the results I get. To refresh the package list click the reload button.

Jim

First I tried, and still got just two hits for vnc. Then, I am not sure why, I reloaded again - and then I got the lot. Curious, but nice all the same. Thanks!