PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What installer to use on an Atom

webmiester
January 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Hi guys,

I just bought a new netbook with a 1.6ghz Intel Atom Processor...

I installed Ubuntu on it with the x86 32-bit architecture thingee because this is what Ive been using before.

It just dawned on me that I was using the x86 32-bit version because I was previously using a Pentium III. Should I use a different version to optimize the Atom?

handydan918
January 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM
If it installed OK, then teh atom is x86 compatible.
As is AMD 54 bit, BTW...
Relax.

If you want to check out a kernel for netbooks, see http://www.array.org/ubuntu/

MysticGold04
January 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Hi guys,

I just bought a new netbook with a 1.6ghz Intel Atom Processor...

I installed Ubuntu on it with the x86 32-bit architecture thingee because this is what Ive been using before.

It just dawned on me that I was using the x86 32-bit version because I was previously using a Pentium III. Should I use a different version to optimize the Atom?

Yes, you used the correct version. I have the Asus 1000HA and have Ubuntu running really nice. I did install the adams kernel and some other ACPI/Power related configuration scripts. UB is quickly becoming my desktop of choice. I'm looking forward to moving away from Windows...for my wife, however, that may be a different story. :)

webmiester
January 28th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Yes, you used the correct version. I have the Asus 1000HA and have Ubuntu running really nice. I did install the adams kernel and some other ACPI/Power related configuration scripts. UB is quickly becoming my desktop of choice. I'm looking forward to moving away from Windows...for my wife, however, that may be a different story. :)

Thanks so much. I was kinda wondering if I should have used the 64-bit version instead of the 32-bit version. It really is running very smoothly and very fast. I actually have 2 ubuntu converts already :) unfortunately, I couldnt install ubuntu on one of the computer, the other one will still be worked out.

Yes, it actually is my OS of choice for mose things. Ill only be using windows for specialized functions such as MIDI and sound recording and/or scanning images (mainly because of device driver issues).

Thanks so much!

pHreaksYcle
January 28th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Which netbook is it?

webmiester
June 12th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

I got a MSI Wind u100x. It works great with ubuntu except for some networking difficulties (that's a different thread)