PDA

View Full Version : Linux error on Airbus

Sealbhach
January 27th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Kind of weird to see this:

http://www.bablotech.com/2009/01/25/linux-error-in-airbus/

You can click on the photo to get a better look at the screen.

smartboyathome
January 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
*pilot comes on the intercom*

"Excuse me, passengers, the computer that plays the movie seems to have segfaulted. Let me assure you that this just means that you won't get to watch your regularly scheduled programs, NOT that it means that we are going to crash." ;)

cardinals_fan
January 27th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Epic.

jrusso2
January 27th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I read about this a couple years ago that those in flight video/tv systems run Linux.

Also when I moved to Las Vegas I noticed some of the slot machines with messages like that when they went down.

banjobacon
January 27th, 2009, 03:16 AM
That's not an error screen. It's just rebooting. The entertainment systems on flights reboot pretty often during the initial minutes of some flights.

Kopachris
January 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Has anyone heard of IdleAire? It's a system for truck drivers to attach to their windows so they don't have to idle their truck all night long. In addition to providing A/C and heat, it also does TV, internet, and movies. And guess what? Yup, the units that attach to the windows run Linux. :) You just can't get that kind of customization with Windows.

hanzomon4
January 27th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I worked on Airbus planes... I had no idea!

cardinals_fan
January 27th, 2009, 03:49 AM
You just can't get that kind of customization with Windows.
But you can with NetBSD...

http://www.embeddedarm.com/images/misc/netbsd-toaster-pc.jpg
http://www.embeddedarm.com/software/arm-netbsd-toaster.php

chucky chuckaluck
January 27th, 2009, 06:11 AM
the wright brothers didn't need no **** linux.

zmjjmz
January 27th, 2009, 06:27 AM
This has happened to me on Delta and Continental flights. On the bright side, they use embedded Linux, but on the other hand the systems are really unstable...

chris4585
January 27th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I always liked systems that showed tux at the top of the tty...

jrusso2
January 27th, 2009, 06:59 AM
That's not an error screen. It's just rebooting. The entertainment systems on flights reboot pretty often during the initial minutes of some flights.

Yes but how do you know if its starting, rebooting or being rebooted after an crash?

JT9161
January 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Yes but how do you know if its starting, rebooting or being rebooted after an crash?

Its not doing either of those, Its preparing the ejector seat system muhwahahahaha

yabbadabbadont
January 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Its not doing either of those, Its preparing the ejector seat system muhwahahahaha

But only for those whose laptops are running Windows....

Sealbhach
January 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM

It looks like a networking problem, the last 8 lines or so start with "bad" and end with "dropping request".

jespdj
January 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
This is not the first time someone posts a picture of screens in an airplane with Tux the penguin on them.

I've seen this myself too - they had to reboot the onboard entertainment system and on everybody's screen in the seat in front of them came the Tux penguin and some boot messages.

Linux is used everywhere, on far more devices than just desktop and laptop computers.