PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WoW downloader not working. Downgrade WINE to 1.1.12?

HittingSmoke
January 27th, 2009, 12:05 AM
So I followed the directions on the WoW Ubuntu Documentation page and when i first launch the installer I get the error "Failed to read information from the Internet". I have all needed ports forwarded in IPtables as well as my router.

I searched and it seems to be a bug in Wine 1.1.13. I'm trying to downgrade to 1.1.12 to see if that works but all I can find on google is information on downgrading FROM 1.1.12 because of some problems with it it seems.

Can anyone point me to some info on downgrading to 1.1.12 or even better, a fix for this problem in Wine 1.1.13?

I'm running Intrepid 32 bit also.

Muffinabus
January 27th, 2009, 12:11 AM
You can try downloading the patch from a third party website, completely bypassing the WoW downloader altogether. Give it a search in Google I'd say. Seems like it might be a tad bit easier than downgrading Wine.

HittingSmoke
January 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM
You can try downloading the patch from a third party website, completely bypassing the WoW downloader altogether. Give it a search in Google I'd say. Seems like it might be a tad bit easier than downgrading Wine.

The thing is I don't have my CD's. I just got an email invite from Blizzard to come back with my old account for a 10 day free trial and I just downloaded the auto installer which downloads the full client and patches that you need to run the game. I would at least need a full Burning Crusade client download and I don't think there's any official place to download one.

Muffinabus
January 27th, 2009, 12:37 AM
The thing is I don't have my CD's. I just got an email invite from Blizzard to come back with my old account for a 10 day free trial and I just downloaded the auto installer which downloads the full client and patches that you need to run the game. I would at least need a full Burning Crusade client download and I don't think there's any official place to download one.

Ah, yeah, that's a bigger issue then /:

fleton
January 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors has a good list of mirrors for almost everything dealing with wow (even has Playable Client's) hope this helps

HittingSmoke
January 27th, 2009, 03:28 AM
http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors has a good list of mirrors for almost everything dealing with wow (even has Playable Client's) hope this helps

Thanks for the link. Downloading a client and patches now to see how it goes.

baucomboy
January 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I am in exactly the same boat. WoW is the only thing keeping me dualbooting with windows :/ I have used 3rd party sites for patches before, but that doesn't help without the core files that have to come from the WowInstaller....any ideas?

HittingSmoke
January 30th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I am in exactly the same boat. WoW is the only thing keeping me dualbooting with windows :/ I have used 3rd party sites for patches before, but that doesn't help without the core files that have to come from the WowInstaller....any ideas?

If you follow that link you can download the v2.0 client and update from there. It's like 6 patches but it works.