PDA

View Full Version : And people think that GNU/Linux users are the snobs..

kaldor
January 26th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I recently got into a conversation with someone about Chrome. He wanted to know if I tried Google Chrome yet, and I said that I had, but very little as there is no Linux port as of yet.

For some strange reason, this set him off. He began to get extremely irritated and start to curse and insult me for being a Linux user. He started to go on with all the typical stereotypes; I'll never get laid, I am an elitist prick, I am a wannabe hacker, I am too poor to afford Windows, and that "You should do yourself a favour and use Vista like a normal f**king person." At the end he also said "I am sick of you guys being such stuck up jerks about a f**king computer!" All of this simply because I implied that I used Linux. Why do people take computers so seriously?

I would also like to add that I did not say anything negative to him about the comments; just walked away and ignored it, so no, the comments he made were not triggered by me.

It isn't always the GNU/Linux users starting the flame war ;)

lostalot
January 26th, 2009, 11:46 PM
ouch! oh well. chalk that one up to experiance....******* users are problematic sometimes....so stuck on the M$ track...

OutOfReach
January 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Ahh stereotypes, how I hate them so.

y6FgBn)~v
January 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM
In the situation you described I would also have politely excused myself and walked away.

I would also question the mental stability of this person if something so benign as a discussion about web browsers would agitate him to such a degree.

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yea, we Fascist-Communist-Fork-Thieving-America-Hating-Linux-Users really only invite it on ourselves.

Bölvağur
January 27th, 2009, 12:02 AM
"Excuse me, but I'm very busy now and do not have time for all this. I really must go there right now"
*point anywhere away*

*take 5 steps in that direction*

*stand there for a while*

damis648
January 27th, 2009, 12:08 AM
"Excuse me, but I'm very busy now and do not have time for all this. I really must go there right now"
*point anywhere away*

*stand there for a while*

:lolflag: :lolflag: I need to do that someday...

lostalot
January 27th, 2009, 12:09 AM
to be frank, walking away quietly is probably the only way to "recover" from a situation like that. Too bad...

albinootje
January 27th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I recently got into a conversation with someone about Chrome. He wanted to know if I tried Google Chrome yet, and I said that I had, but very little as there is no Linux port as of yet.

For some strange reason, this set him off. He began to get extremely irritated and start to curse and insult me for being a Linux user. He started to go on with all the typical stereotypes; I'll never get laid, I am an elitist prick, I am a wannabe hacker, I am too poor to afford Windows, and that "You should do yourself a favour and use Vista like a normal f**king person." At the end he also said "I am sick of you guys being such stuck up jerks about a f**king computer!" All of this simply because I implied that I used Linux. Why do people take computers so seriously?

I would also like to add that I did not say anything negative to him about the comments; just walked away and ignored it, so no, the comments he made were not triggered by me.

It isn't always the GNU/Linux users starting the flame war ;)

Together with the following link, you've just made my day. ROTFL! :)
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/too_old_for_this_sh*t.png
(Change * in i to watch the comic).

ntowakbh
January 27th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Heh, my response would've been snickering(which probably would've just further provoked him). When people get so worked up about things of that nature, especially when it isn't instigated, it makes me want to laugh. I mean, it's not like you began going off on how great you think Linux is, and so-on.

Aenoble
January 27th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sounds like he's dealt with GNU/Linux snobs before.

K.Mandla
January 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Yea, we Fascist-Communist-Fork-Thieving-America-Hating-Linux-Users really only invite it on ourselves.
I gotta put that in my signature.

Sealbhach
January 27th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Is he from Madison, Wisconsin, by any chance? Does he watch WKOW TV?

ticopelp
January 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Wow... Linux must have come to his house, beaten his dog and framed him for murder.

Giant Speck
January 27th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Booooooring!

bruce89
January 27th, 2009, 02:26 AM
People are ar**holes, live with it. I'm also sure the a**ehole distribution is pretty equal across all fields.

MaxIBoy
January 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
*point anywhere away*

*stand there for a while*You know, by coincidence, I just did something like that today. Someone asked me to do something I really didn't want to do, so I told her, "Sorry, I can't, I'm busy not doing anything that day."

Kopachris
January 27th, 2009, 04:03 AM
"wannabe hacker"? Uh, helllooo...? Lol, that surd. :)

Grant A.
January 27th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Most people who use Linux use it for hacking*, I find that as a complement.

*hacking as in software building.

kk0sse54
January 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM
...I'll never get laid...
I don't know how it is with you guys and Ubuntu but I pick up chicks with Arch all the time :cool:

Grant A.
January 27th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I don't know how it is with you guys and Ubuntu but I pick up chicks with Arch all the time :cool:

pacman -S chicks

Doesn't count. :p

Sorivenul
January 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I gotta put that in my signature.
Somebody should make a wallpaper...

inobe
January 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM
haha i had a few encounters like that, never face to face of course ;)

kk0sse54
January 27th, 2009, 04:20 AM
pacman -S chicks

Doesn't count. :p

Actually I believe they are only available through the AUR ;)

Sorivenul
January 27th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Actually I believe they are only available through the AUR ;)
They are available from FreeBSD as well, and we all know BSD users have a reputation for being snobbish.

cd /usr/ports/biology/female
make install clean

Kopachris
January 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Lol, isn't it wonderful to be around people who understand you? :)

igknighted
January 27th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Just ask Dilbert...

stopie
January 27th, 2009, 05:44 AM
He is just jealous that he cant:

sudo make-me-a-sandwhich (http://xkcd.com/149/)