PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mirror Screens (dual monitor)

ductiletoaster
January 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM
SO basically i would like to know if there is a way to have my second monitor (40" samsung) to display just a single screen for movie purposes. I dont really care if its mirrored or some other means its just the problem i have been having with mirrored is that it wants to display the tool bar all incorrectly on the 40" because im using two different resolutions. And for some reason it adjusts my background of the main screen which is a 19".

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Even (especially) if they are alternatives to this.

Thanks ahead of time!

switchrodeo720
January 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm currently running a similar setup.

My computer monitor is 22 inches and then I have my living room tv setup as a mirror display, I believe it's 35 inches.

I have an NVIDIA card. If you do as well, you can install and run

sudo nvidia-settings

This will allow you to configure your display setup accordingly. This is how my current setup looks.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/3229202325_0514925dab.jpg?v=0

After you've applied the settings and everything is working properly make sure you save the settings to your ex configuration file. That way the settings will stick when you reboot.

Hope this helps.

ductiletoaster
January 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah i have nvida settings manager..... and i ran it under root to apply settings but my problem is that it displays strange on the TV. the tollbar isnt long enough on the TV and for some reason its centers my background on the cloned screen (40") and not the main one (19")....

I guess what i would want is to have just the background showing on the TV and no toolbars..... But i think that would basically be twinview..... But i dont really like twinview cuz it stretches ur workspaces across two screen s cuz it tricks the computer into believing u have one large monitor. Now if there was a way to customize twinview so that the TV was its own workspace then that would be ideal.

Example: Monitor 1 (19") have A cube workspace or in other words four workspaces and then Monitor 2 (40") have its own workspace or in other words be the fifth workspace......

switchrodeo720
January 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I've got nothing. Sorry.