PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Menus don't display sorted

Old *ix Geek
January 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm REALLY compulsive about organizing menus, so imagine my shock at finding that my menus no longer display the way they're supposed to! :shock: ;)

Seriously, though, it's very weird--and it only just started when I upgraded from 7.04 to 8.10. I manually...painstakingly...sort each group's menu alphabetically. I save my changes. The entries APPEAR sorted, just like I want them. But when I access the menu to choose an application, the menus are totally unsorted...I can't even make sense of how they're displaying, they're just in some random order, definitely not alphabetical as I arranged them. And if I go back in to the menu editor, they're all exactly as I left them, sorted alphabetically, so there's nothing I can do there to adjust anything since it's already as it should be.

So what's up with this? Is it a known bug? Is there a fix?

Old *ix Geek
January 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM
No one? :confused:

UbuntuniX
January 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM
This annoys me too, but I can't seem to find a fix.

Old *ix Geek
January 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM
This annoys me too, but I can't seem to find a fix.It's bizarre, because the items display correctly while in the menu editor, but then don't display correctly in the actual menu.

UbuntuniX
January 28th, 2009, 12:05 AM
It's bizarre, because the items display correctly while in the menu editor, but then don't display correctly in the actual menu.

Doesn't help that menu-editing is an incredibly slow process, eh?

Old *ix Geek
January 28th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Doesn't help that menu-editing is an incredibly slow process, eh?No, indeed. Not only is it cumbersome, but there's some really strange behavior in 8.10 (aside from the sorting issue!).

For example, in the entry for the Arora browser, no matter what I put--or delete--in its name and description, making sure to save my changes, it ALWAYS immediately reverts back to "Arora" in the name and "Web Browser" in the description. Weird.

kaligus
March 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM
anyone found a solution yet?

I am having issues with my menu sorting still a year later almost time for the next release...