PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10, how can I disable the system beep?

mesh2005
January 26th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I checked System->Preferences->Sound but I couldn't find anything there?

snova
January 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
The way I do it is to unload the driver for the device itself.

Open the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file:

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

And add this line to the end of it:

blacklist pcspkr

This will take effect the next time you reboot.

For the time being, though, you can issue this command to unload it immediately:

sudo rmmod pcspkr

Linuxdork
January 27th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well, I know you can disable it from doing it in gnome-terminal. Edit > Current Profile... > General (Tab) and uncheck the Terminal Bell box.

paulchinnz
January 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I tried the terminal bell box but system beep is still going. Are there any other options besides unloading the driver?

Linuxdork
January 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
What are you doing on the system when the beep occurs?

mtbsoft
January 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I checked System->Preferences->Sound but I couldn't find anything there?
Are you not seeing two tabs - Devices and Sounds? The Sounds tab has the options Play Alerts And Sound Effects and Play Alert Sounds - I have both disabled. I also have the System|Power Management|General|Use sound to notify in event of error option disabled. If you have Compiz enabled you should also disable General Options|General|Audible Bell. I don't get any beeps or other noises with these settings.

Actually, the System|Log Out and System|Shutdown are the two events which don't seem to honour these settings... both subsequent screens beep when you select an action but I can (just) live with that... by not using them.

Edit: finally found it... Also in Compiz|Fading Windows has two options to give you a visual indicator when the bell should beep, Visual Bell and Fullscreen Visual Bell - the screen/window will blink briefly instead of the beep

Linuxdork
January 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2696/screenshotsoundpreferenur1.png

If you uncheck that it should work.

mtbsoft
January 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
If you uncheck that it should work.
I'm curious, what version are you running, because I don't get that third tab in 8.10?

Linuxdork
January 29th, 2009, 04:20 AM
8.04 Hardy

Linuxdork
January 29th, 2009, 04:24 AM
If you don't have that tab you can probably disable it in gconf.

gconf-editor

do a search for bell and select this option: /apps/metacity/general/audible_bell

Then remove the check there. I believe that will work.

ShoeYork
February 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
If you don't have that tab you can probably disable it in gconf.

gconf-editor

do a search for bell and select this option: /apps/metacity/general/audible_bell

Then remove the check there. I believe that will work.

This just worked for me, but I'm curious as to why I don't have that third tab in sound preferences. I'm using 8.1.

Azure.Rise
February 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
The third tab was removed in 8.10, although I don't know why.

kikazaru
March 6th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I was still getting a beep out of gedit... which gave me heart attacks when wired for sound. The shock was exacerbated due the otherwise silent environment.

I found and unticked (based on gconf editor tip above)

compiz
general
all
screens
options
audible bell

chakoshi
March 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
the best method is the one snova mentioned: unload the driver for the device:

sudo rmmod pcspkr

and to make it permanently disabled:

And add "blacklist pcspkr" to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file

kaivalagi
March 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
You could just disconnect the pc speaker (if you have a desktop pc)

I dont even have one, there's no need

Potters Son
April 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I dont even have one, there's no need

Not true. I have a laptop, and the pc speaker gets routed through my main speakers (MAN, is it annoying). Well, I'm running 9.04 beta, and the tab is STILL missing (where, oh where has that little tab gone?) Moreover, why would it ever get removed?

I don't know what I would use the PC speaker for, but I feel uncomfortable disabling it. Who knows? I might miss it down the road, but by that time I will have forgotton how I disabled it.

alanhoyle
May 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I'm also running 8.10. Is there a way to force the system bell to trigger a digitized sound? it seems that the gconf-editor /apps/metacity/general/audible_bell setting is linked in with the Sound Preferences::Sounds :: Play alert sound setting.

What I want is for the thing to beep through the speakers rather than triggering the nasty PC speaker bell. I've also disabled the speaker through the kernel blacklist, but that still doesn't do what I want it to. I don't want complete silence, I want a subtle audible clue that I can change the volume of using my volume control.