PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 - no Windows login created

james.wilde
January 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
During the installation process when a Windows instance, eg XP or Vista lies on another partition on the same disk, the installation process usually asks if one wishes to connect an account on the Windows partition to an account one is creating in the Ubuntu partition.

When I recently wiped 8.10 and reinstalled 8.04 I didn't get that question, and I haven't been able to find any hints in the forums as to whether it is possible to make that connection afterwards. Obviously I've been phrasing the search incorrectly.

Can someone give me a pointer please?

TIA

//James

taurus
January 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Do you mean mounting your windows partitions in Ubuntu so you can access them?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWindowsPartitions/ThirdPartyNTFS3G

james.wilde
January 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Well, that's part of it, Taurus, but as I understand it, there was an equivalence created between the Ubuntu login and the corresponding Windows login which allowed one to do more on the Windows disk than an ordinary connection. For example, I have two Windows partitions on my hard disk, called Acer and Data. I can see these disks under Places, and can open them. I am asked to log in, which I do.

However, when I open the Documents and Settings directory, I see no subdirectories, not even the James one, I would see if I were logged into Windows. This I could see if the association had been made between my Ubuntu login and my Windows one. It's this association I would like to set up so that root==Administrator and james==James Wilde.

//J

taurus
January 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Did you use wubi to install Ubuntu on you machine?

james.wilde
January 26th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Nope. A new cd of the 8.04 iso