PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all (first post)

in_terrorem
January 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Just wanted use my first post as a hello to everyone and to somewhat introduce myself.

I am an ex-vista user now using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5100 series). I got tired of Vista and it's stupid sluggishness and junk and thought I would give this a try and have been pretty pleased with it so far. I am pretty excited to learn how to dig into my computer and make it work the way I want.

I am using Windows XP on my desktop (it seems to work decently for me) and have considered installing a dual-boot on it with Ubuntu as well, seeing as it would probably perform a lot faster on it.

Either way, I have been browsing around on the forums the last few days getting a feel for this new OS and it's capabilities and it looks very promising. I look forward to experiencing Ubuntu at it's prime.

uberdonkey5
January 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Welcome! Well, I have dual boot with vista (and ubuntu) but am getting rid of vista. My aim is to have ubuntu, but with xp virtualised (look up on virtual box). Interestingly virtual xp often works faster than xp installed normally. Don't forget as well that xp is less safe than vista (regards viruses) and obviously much less safer than linux. However you can get free windows software to create the same 'sudo' environment you get in ubuntu,but in windows.

However, dual boot is a good way to start, and thats what I have had for over a year now, though I hate going into windows (only use it for video editing software)

albinootje
January 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Just wanted use my first post as a hello to everyone and to somewhat introduce myself.

I am an ex-vista user now using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5100 series).

Welcome to Ubuntu! :)

I am using Windows XP on my desktop (it seems to work decently for me) and have considered installing a dual-boot on it with Ubuntu as well, seeing as it would probably perform a lot faster on it.

A slight warning.
You have to be a little careful because unfortunately there's still quite some hardware where Ubuntu will encounter some problems.
Best is, imho, to use the "try without installing" live session from the Ubuntu installation cdrom before you start installing.

Note : I'm not sure whether you can use the "restricted" drivers in a live session, but again, the live session can give you a good indication of which devices are gonna work, and which devices might need more work.

uberdonkey5
January 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Agree with above... setting up your system can be the hardest part and is often what puts off alot of beginners. It helps if you know someone who uses ubuntu, but if not use the forums.. searching for your computer model and the word 'ubuntu' usually picks up problems you may have. Once system established though, it is extremely stable (I've never had a crash). Also, remember that you'll have to download codecs from the medibuntu repositories. Ubuntu takes patience and a gradual change over, but it is worth the effort.

albinootje
January 26th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Also, remember that you'll have to download codecs from the medibuntu repositories.

That's indeed an option if you want to play all kind of audio- and video files. See here for more information :
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

There's also this :

apt-cache search restrict|grep extra
kubuntu-restricted-extras - Commonly used restricted packages
ubuntu-restricted-extras - Commonly used restricted packages
xubuntu-restricted-extras - Commonly used restricted packages

but I've never tried them completely.
That will also try to install Java amongst others iirc.