View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows doesn't recognise external ntfs

January 26th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Hi, I have partitioned my 8gb flash into 2 bits using gparted.

Both primary, 1st = fat32, second = ntfs.

The whole point was for windoze to recognise the ntfs partition to be able to move >4gb files, but xp only sees the fat32 partition.

Is there a flag necessary to set for the ntfs partition to be recognised?

Cheers, Ben.

January 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM
You could probably try downloading the ntfs-config tool and running that. Check the external drives option and that should make it show up. If it doesn't show up immediately you might need to reboot.

January 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
what happens when the entire thing is ntfs, or when ntfs is first

January 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I've heard that windows can only handle one partition on a flash drive. See what happens when you switch the partitons and put NTFS in front of FAT32.

January 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I almost never start my windows os but I have found a number of cross platform apps in the package manager to make writing and reading possible. I think I read that one was needed for Gparted and I think it was something like nfftprogs. Take this with a grain of salt I may be misremembering. I am more interested in cross platform for my mac os. Just thought it might help yoou.

January 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Why not just use the Windows tools to partition the drive? That way you won't need to guess about what the problem might be.

March 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Used gparted to convert the flash drive into 1 ntfs partition. Already had ntfsprogs installed, that may matter.

Now recognised by ubuntu & xp, cheers for all your help!