PDA

View Full Version : '+1' posts. Let's talk about them.

zugu
January 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I've noticed a lot of '+1' posts on these forums. It usually goes like this: someone posts something, then someone else replies:

I find your ideas intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.+1

Sometimes the reply includes some more text, but it begins with '+1', nonetheless. I find this annoying, redundant, childish and this is why I think such posts should be against the forum rules. '+1' posts are useless, they add nothing to the thread. If there's something to count, then make it a poll.

Discuss.

(and don't reply to this with '+1', please)

fwojciec
January 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I've noticed a lot of '+1' posts on these forums. It usually goes like this: someone posts something, then someone else replies:

+1

Sometimes the reply includes some more text, but it begins with '+1', nonetheless. I find this annoying, redundant, childish and this is why I think such posts should be against the forum rules. '+1' posts are useless, they add nothing to the thread. If there's something to count, then make it a poll.

Discuss.

+1

Sorry, it was too tempting.

raul_
January 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
+1

raul_
January 26th, 2009, 05:08 PM
It's just to show that people have an opinion that has already been posted. It's a "me too"

kevdog
January 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM
If I did +2 rather than +1 - would it make you feel any better?

sisco311
January 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM

this should be in FF&H.

stopie
January 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I find "+1" to be more concise and appropriate than a lengthy text that merely restates that with which one is agreeing. I would motion that it should be policy to uphold and protect that which is the "+1."

If something as simple as "+1" is so utterly agonising for your forum viewing, I would reconsider my involvement in an online forum...

$0.02

Maheriano
January 26th, 2009, 05:14 PM
undecided

Thelasko
January 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I think there are more +1 posts now that the "thank you" button has been disabled.

The +1 post serves a definite purpose, and should not be banned. Hopefully, the "thank you" button will return, and the number of +1 posts will go down.

CrazyArcher
January 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
IMO, if the poster has nothing but "+1" to add to the discusion - then it's pointless. However, if the poster adds his own thoughts, I think it's legitimate.

billgoldberg
January 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM

+1

Discuss.

It's easier to write "+1" instead of "I agree with your statement".

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 05:40 PM
+27.5!!!!

mihai.ile
January 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM
+27.5!!!!

And that would be "there are 27 persons and one baby that also agrees"?

ajcham
January 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
IMO, if the poster has nothing but "+1" to add to the discusion - then it's pointless. However, if the poster adds his own thoughts, I think it's legitimate.

If the purpose of the discussion, however, is to gauge community opinion and consensus, then "+1" does itself add value.

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
And that would be "there are 27 persons and one baby that also agrees"?

That would be if you're bored enough, don't really find that much worth discussing in the OP and want to type anyway, and go back and count all the "+x" expressions in this thread and headers.

albinootje
January 26th, 2009, 05:58 PM
undecided

Interesting!
+1

Therion
January 26th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Great quality post!! Super packaging! Would read again! A+++++++++++++

MaxIBoy
January 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
If each opinion could only be expressed once, nothing would get anywhere. So posting about something you agree with is helpful. And "+1" is a good, concise way to say that.

mirhciulica
January 26th, 2009, 06:06 PM

+1

Discuss.

It's easier to write "+1" instead of "I agree with your statement".

+1

What can I say much? IMHO, I'll be more annoyed if I see "I agree" or any other similar words many times, instead of short and to the point "+1".

red_Marvin
January 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
NaN.

Should people instead not post at all, or write a long enough post which anyway does not convey any other opinion?

notwen
January 26th, 2009, 06:21 PM
+1

+1

Ditto

What they said

I concur

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Great quality post!! Super packaging! Would read again! A+++++++++++++

lol lol lol roflmao hth tanstaafl fwiw tia nttawwt!!!1111!!!!!!!

uberdonkey5
January 26th, 2009, 06:59 PM
NaN.

Should people instead not post at all, or write a long enough post which anyway does not convey any other opinion?

In the ubuntu help posts, unless there is an argument over a method to use, I think +1 should be avoided. Also, if there are hundreds of '+1' posts, adding another seems pointless.

However, in the cafe, I think it is useful,particularly where opinions are desired. It speeds up reading immensely, and does add value (+1 cannot be considered the same as a null response). Consider this example...

Thread: "Every time I post it feels like no-one responds to me"
Reply: "+1"

alternative...

Thread: "Every time I post it feels like no-one responds to me"
<no reply> ... person who submitted thread jumps off tall building.

uberdonkey5
January 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
P.S.

+1 to the above post

I have not changed my mind at all in the last 12 seconds

MikeTheC
January 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM
+1

Sorry, it was too tempting.

Drat, you beat me to it. However, I still reserve the right to "+1" your post on its own merits. So...

+1

Dragonbite
January 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I use the "+1" because;

I agree with the post (and any deviation from it I comment below it)
I don't have anything to really add to it
I want to promote the idea (since I agree with it) with the idea that I don't want it to be lost in the shuffle or in the skuffle of other people ranting and raving about something sometimes totally unrelated.

That is, until the "Thank you" button comes back.

hellion0
January 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Even before the loss of the "Thanks" button, I've had clear reasons for using either.

+1: Count me in. Don't worry, I'm elaborating further.
"Thanks": Wow. That helped me fix something, OR, Wow. I never thought to see it that way before. You made me change my mind.

In other words, agreement ranks as +1, while actual gratitude ranks a "Thanks."

ticopelp
January 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I honestly don't think it's worth getting upset about. It's the Internet, some (even many) posts are going to be content-free. It just comes with the territory.

If the purpose of the discussion, however, is to gauge community opinion and consensus, then "+1" does itself add value.

And, uh, +1.

Thelasko
January 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
In other words, agreement ranks as +1, while actual gratitude ranks a "Thanks."
Yeah, I see where your coming from. I usually use "thanks" as a sign of agreement to keep the thread shorter.

Perhaps an "I agree" or "second (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_(parliamentary_procedure))" button should be added to the forums?

albinootje
January 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I see where your coming from. I usually use "thanks" as a sign of agreement to keep the thread shorter.

Perhaps an "I agree" or "second (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_(parliamentary_procedure))" button should be added to the forums?

+1, although I prefer to see a [+1] button!

chucky chuckaluck
January 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM

"+1" is brief and far less contrived than the 'thanks' gimmick. what's the sense in making a point and not getting some feedback on it? we're not always a hundred percent certain if something we think is on the right track, or not. at the very least, a +1 reassures us that there is someone else in the world as equally foolish as we.

RiceMonster
January 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I don't see whats wrong with that. I've seen on other forums where people literally just click the quote button and don't post any other text. That doesn't bother me either because it's just agreeing. Plus, this area is supposed to be for "lighthearted and enjoyable disucssions" so I don't see why "adding anything to the thread" should even be an issue.

RiceMonster
January 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM
i don't see whats wrong with that. I've seen on other forums where people literally just click the quote button and don't post any other text. That doesn't bother me either because it's just agreeing. Plus, this area is supposed to be for "lighthearted and enjoyable disucssions" so i don't see why "adding anything to the thread" should even be an issue.

+1

lukjad
January 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I find that +1 can do a few things of use. If I agree with someone, but simply restate their opinion, I'll look like a copycat. If I say nothing, I'll have done nothing. And when I'm posting in five threads, typing "I agree with the general content of the post above the post above mine at the time of this writing and wish to show my support of it in that I think it accurately represents my point of view, at least so far, before any edits" gets a little old and takes waaaay too much time.

Dragonbite
January 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I find that +1 can do a few things of use. If I agree with someone, but simply restate their opinion, I'll look like a copycat. If I say nothing, I'll have done nothing. And when I'm posting in five threads, typing "I agree with the general content of the post above the post above mine at the time of this writing and wish to show my support of it in that I think it accurately represents my point of view, at least so far, before any edits" gets a little old and takes waaaay too much time.

Plus, posting "+1" bumps the thread, while giving "Thanks" does not.

lukjad
January 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Agreed.

Thelasko
January 26th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ubuntu Brainstorm page. (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17682/)

lisati
January 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM

"+1" is brief and far less contrived than the 'thanks' gimmick. what's the sense in making a point and not getting some feedback on it? we're not always a hundred percent certain if something we think is on the right track, or not. at the very least, a +1 reassures us that there is someone else in the world as equally foolish as we.

I found the "thanks" feature useful for feedback for useful posts, where there wasn't a need to actually say anything more. It's also a useful tool for evaluating where you've actually helped someone. Shame people got a little bit silly with it a couple of months back.....

pelle.k
January 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM
+1 for a "+1 button", in addition to a "thanks button", to separate gratitude from just agreeing with someone.

lisati
January 26th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ubuntu Brainstorm page. (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17682/)

I missed the disappearance of the "thanks" button due to taking a break from the forums (family stuff needed attention) so I'm not fully up to speed on the whys and wherefores (I'm currently feeling too lazy to search the forums for discussions on the topic)

A couple of observations/suggestions:

Isn't there the same risk of people getting just as silly with an "I agree" button as some did with the thanks button?
Some people might want an "I disagree" button, something like the "report" button but not as harsh.

Thelasko
January 26th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Some people might want an "I disagree" button, something like the "report" button but not as harsh.

I second that.
This is what happened to the "Thanks" button. (http://moxiefoxtrot.com/2009/01/14/recent-ubuntuforums-downtime/)

Namtabmai
January 26th, 2009, 09:40 PM

Just what is the point in that? This is a discussion forum, where people discuss topics. If you disagree with something, tell us why, it's the whole point of a community like this.

The same goes for the "Agree"/"+1" posts, they add nothing at all to a discussion.

chucky chuckaluck
January 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I found the "thanks" feature useful for feedback for useful posts, where there wasn't a need to actually say anything more. It's also a useful tool for evaluating where you've actually helped someone. Shame people got a little bit silly with it a couple of months back.....

- infinity (gotcha! as far as i know). in practice, the thanks button was being used like ketchup and it was being applied to just about everything. it doesn't actually give you feedback as you don't know if you were being thanked for an answer that worked, or for just trying to help even though your answer may not have worked.

snowbalance
January 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
If it were up to me, everyone would use:

http://i43.tinypic.com/21m6jc0.jpg

;)

clw3388
January 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM
+1 :)

forrestcupp
January 26th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I don't see any problem with a +1 in the discussion forums. Showing support and agreement is part of what makes up a discussion.

However, in the support sections, I agree that using +1 is a cheap way of running up your post count. It's a sign of a post ***** racking up his score. It's easy to run through the support threads and throw out a couple of thousand meaningless +1's to make your count look nice. If a problem has been solved, and you don't have anything productive to add, there's no reason for you to post. ;)

mr.propre
January 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
it's easier to write "+1" instead of "i agree with your statement".

+1

Some websites use rating functions, but I find them not personal.
And using the thanks button is not the same as +1 in my opinion.

handy
January 27th, 2009, 01:34 AM
We will have the option again in the not too distant future to vary our +1's with a thank you.

Or for those posts that have done a most excellent job of telepathically articulating our thoughts we may even be so inclined as to give them a +1(or more, depending on the number of personalities we think we have) & a thank you.

Giant Speck
January 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I prefer the following emoticon over "+1":

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7342/bandwagonjn3.gif

raul_
January 27th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I prefer the following emoticon over "+1":

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7342/bandwagonjn3.gif

O'rly?

cardinals_fan
January 27th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I understand your point, but I often agree with another person's post and would like to show my support.

yabbadabbadont
January 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I understand your point, but I often agree with another person's post and would like to show my support.

++

Dragonbite
January 27th, 2009, 03:07 AM
& "a"