PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Viruses, Can I get one from Limewire

lonewolf1222
January 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I have heard that you cannot get viruses on Ubuntu. Is that true? What if I start using Limewire, can I get one then?

Izek
January 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

russu52
January 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
i use limewire and torrents - but no viruses yet! they cannot penetrate linux kernel because most are designed to attack windows dll files. shhhh!!!

theozzlives
January 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM
hopefully you're not using Limewire for copyrighted content cause they WILL catch you.

lazyart
January 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Yes, you can get a virus, but it won't affect you. Like with some diseases you can be a carrier but feel just fine, you might download one, never know it, but could pass it on to an unprotected Windows user.

lisati
January 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have heard that you cannot get viruses on Ubuntu. Is that true? What if I start using Limewire, can I get one then?

Yes: I've had malware arrive through Limewiare and it's cousin Frostwire. As has already been noted, they're not likely to harm your ububuntu installation to nearly the same extent as they would with Windows. It won't hurt, however, to check all incoming files, and there's never any substitute for good sense.

metallicamike
January 26th, 2009, 08:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Viruses

if, in fact, you do get one of the very rare ones for ubuntu, its is highly unlikely to do anything due to administrative rights permissions. But like lisati said, there is no substitute for good sense

lukjad007
January 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Also, it should be pointed out that if you install anything that you got from an untrusted source, you are opening yourself up for an attack. Trojans are the real danger for Linux for the simple fact that you are giving it full control of your computer.

lil_kid1333
January 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM
how can limewire catch you if your downloading copyrighted material?? ive never gotten caught........ :-# well what about firewalls do we need em in ubuntu? and ive heard that if you make another account which doesnt have administration rights its even a higher chance you wont get infected is that true?