PDA

View Full Version : Amarok 1.4???

Johnsie
January 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I just installed Amarok from the repositories and it was version 1.4.

Version 2 has been out for quite some time. Why are the Ubuntu repositories so far behind?

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I just installed Amarok from the repositories and it was version 1.4.

Version 2 has been out for quite some time. Why are the Ubuntu repositories so far behind?

Because IIRC, 2.0 is only available via backport in the PPA, not the official Ubuntu Repos. The Ubuntu repos are normally quite behind-in the name of stability.

DougieFresh4U
January 26th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Well I just installed from Add/remove and it was the new amarok and I hate it. Where can I find the old one to install.
When I was trying to load my music it kept telling me I didn't have the driver for it, what???
Oh forgot, when I installed it put 68 useless packages as well.

BigSilly
January 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
1.4 is definitely better at the moment. I stick with that anyway if I can.

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Well I just installed from Add/remove and it was the new amarok and I hate it. Where can I find the old one to install.
When I was trying to load my music it kept telling me I didn't have the driver for it, what???
Oh forgot, when I installed it put 68 useless packages as well.

In Synaptic:

Look for package "amarok", that is the one you want installed...it should automatically take care of uninstalling "amarok-kde4" which is what you have.

DougieFresh4U
January 26th, 2009, 03:27 PM
In Synaptic:

Look for package "amarok", that is the one you want installed...it should automatically take care of uninstalling "amarok-kde4" which is what you have.

My 'Synaptic' has the new one.

Skripka
January 26th, 2009, 03:33 PM
My 'Synaptic' has the new one.

Bizzarro.

How did you do that? I'm on KDE4.2RC Ibex FWIW, and I'm stumped. Note I have Amarok-kde4 installed, and Amarok 1.4 at the top.

sydbat
January 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I think it's because he is running Jaunty.

ajcham
January 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM

You have to remember that Ubuntu is not a rolling-release distro; the repos are "so far" behind, because Intrepid is now three months old. Therefore, any major releases that have occurred in the last 3 months (such as Amarok 2.0 or OpenOffice3.0) are not available by default.

If you are looking for a distro that keeps itself at the bleeding-edge, then consider an alternative to Ubuntu.