PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Is there an alternative method to update???

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
For those of us without access to fast, stable connections, it is nearly impossible to update to 8.10 all in one shot. The update manager estimates my download time to be apprx. 14 hrs. The problem is I live in a country where the power goes out every few hours, sometimes on a schedule, and sometimes quite randomly. I was at 60% this morning before the electricity failed and wiped out the progress I had made. I've downloaded the full 8.10 iso and made a live sd disk... but there is no way to update from a live disk/usb/sd.. is there???

bgerlich
January 26th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I see somebody didn't read the wiki :)

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrading%20Using%20the%20Alternate%20CD/DVD

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
gracias

so im trying to follow the instructions which go as follows:

-------------

Download the alternate installation CD

Burn the ISO to a CD and insert it into the CD-ROM drive of the computer to be upgraded.

If the ISO file is on the computer to be upgraded, you could avoid wasting a CD by mounting the ISO as a drive with a command like:
sudo mount -o loop ~/Desktop/ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0
A dialog will be displayed offering you the opportunity to upgrade using that CD.
Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2:
gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

-------------

i tried runing "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade" like it instructed but nothing pops up. do i need to tweak the command since im using an sd card?

bgerlich
January 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
If you have properly mounted the iso, then no :).

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 02:03 PM
i used unetbootin to mount it. it works fine when i start up, press esc, and choose to boot live from sd.. is there a way to test if it's been properly mounted or not

bgerlich
January 26th, 2009, 02:07 PM
You don't have to do that. Just copy the ISO on sd card, start your Ubuntu, start the terminal, cd into your sd card directory in /media, type:
sudo mount -o loop ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0

If no errors pop up you are good to go.

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
hmmm.. still not working, it looks like it mounts properly because all the files appear in the media/cdrom0 directory and there is also the icon on my desktop that appears. and when i run the gksu command, it asks me for my pw, but does nothing more... any more thoughts??

bgerlich
January 26th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Try running "sudo ./cdrom/cdromupgrade" in the terminal to see what the problem is. Post the output.

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM
command not found

bgerlich
January 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
cd into the /cdrom and /media/cdrom0 foldres, type ls in both, post output.

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 03:35 PM
i cd'd into both directories and got the same output; 'command not found'

bgerlich
January 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
what I meant is you should check using "ls" in which dir the file resides and then do "sudo ./cdromupgrade

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
marc@marc-laptop:/cdrom$ ls
autorun.inf dists isolinux pics preseed ubuntu wubi.exe
casper install md5sum.txt pool README.diskdefines umenu.exe

marc@marc-laptop:/media/cdrom0$ ls
autorun.inf dists isolinux pics preseed ubuntu wubi.exe
casper install md5sum.txt pool README.diskdefines umenu.exe

mabtifro2
January 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
o.. apparently there is a separate iso for upgrading.. wtf is the purpose of that?? anyways at least i got the answer.

merci beaucoup pour votre aide.

what ever happened to the thank you buttons??

snova
January 27th, 2009, 02:27 AM
what ever happened to the thank you buttons??

Temporarily disabled. See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1039481