PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacement for Alt+F2 - Run Application

musther
January 26th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I feel that the run application dialogue called by pressing Alt+F2 is limited. Oddly if I use it to call the command gedit, and then open it again, gedit doesn't seem to appear in the list of recent commands. Commands which are recorded as recent seem random.

I'm wondering if there is a replacement 'run' program, perhaps something more friendly, something with a little more agreeable, or more feature rich?

Cheers!

cb951303
January 26th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I feel that the run application dialogue called by pressing Alt+F2 is limited. Oddly if I use it to call the command gedit, and then open it again, gedit doesn't seem to appear in the list of recent commands. Commands which are recorded as recent seem random.

I'm wondering if there is a replacement 'run' program, perhaps something more friendly, something with a little more agreeable, or more feature rich?

Cheers!

Try GNOME-DO :popcorn:

kevinmchapman
January 26th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Try gmrun. Similar to ALT-F2, but provides a list of possible commands with tab completion

binbash
January 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
yes try gnome-do

musther
January 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks very much for your suggestions.

I quite like the simplicity of gmrun, but I have to admit, gnome-do is very impressive. One question though, I've installed a couple of plugins in gnome-do, how do I make use of them, there must be some command sequence, or keypress, but I have no idea what.

Cheers

DjNDB
February 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Try GNOME-DO :popcorn:

Thank you, I installed gnome-do instead of the run application dialog to ALT-F2.
I hated that it did not autocomplete in a useful way and I had to type most of the command anyway.

Ofloo
July 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Found different solution:

zenity --entry --text="Run command:" --width=400 | sh -s

or

sh -c "`zenity --entry --text="Run command:" --width=400`"

Why because gnome-do requires evolution-commen for some reason and since i deleted all evolution, which lead to a surprising extra feature, .. it also removed the top panel, which i wanted to remove anyways..

kerneloftruth
August 18th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Thank you, I installed gnome-do instead of the run application dialog to ALT-F2.
I hated that it did not autocomplete in a useful way and I had to type most of the command anyway.

++

thanks ! :)