PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New window does not get focus.

wimmelis
January 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Dear all,

I had this problem on and off in the past, but now it seems to become continuous :(
When I open a new window, then the focus does not go to that window. Sometimes, it does not even go to the front on the screen, but somewhere at the back.
I have my visual effects set to none and also completely uninstalled compiz, based on what I could find on the web, but neither works.
I'm running Hardy 64-bit.
Anyone ?

WM

gettinoriginal
January 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
It sounds like during the uninstallation of compiz some dependency of gnome may have gotten deleted. I would check to make sure that gnome-desktop is installed. :confused:

wimmelis
January 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Hi,

Well, this morning when I restarted, I ended up without title bars to my windows, so I reinstalled compiz. Though, I had also read that you could try to remove the .gconf directories from the user profile, which clearly also had effect after rebooting.
So far so good, everything seems to be behaving normally again.

EDIT: After a few hours of working, its seems to be going wrong again ... I don't get this :(

WM

wimmelis
January 27th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Dear all,

Would it be possible that the behaviour changes due to one particular application running or not. I have a suspicion that if I run VMware Workstation, the focus is not wright, whereas if it is not running then it seems ok.
If one application is causing this, then how can I prevent that from happening ?

WM

inso_741
May 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM
install compiz
run ccsm
general settings>focus&raise behaviour
set focus prevention = off

mighty3
May 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks inso_741,

I've fixed my same type of problem with your advice.

rrajath
November 5th, 2012, 11:43 PM
install compiz
run ccsm
general settings>focus&raise behaviour
set focus prevention = off

Awesomeness! You're the best :)

wildmanne39
November 6th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Old thread closed.