PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moonlight..--Effective or no, worth the install?

sports fan Matt
January 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Is Moonlight effective in viewing pages such as : http://995thewolf.com/MUSIC/ListenLive/tabid/402/Default.aspx as a way to listen to audio radio stations or is it ineffective...

llamakc
January 26th, 2009, 04:28 AM
It worked for me. Click the "Listen Live" button, and in the smaller window, click the "install plugin". FF will need to be restarted. It wouldn't play at first and the smaller window wasn't properly filled with data/images. I closed it, refreshed the main page, and received a prompt to install some moonlight codecs. I did so, and clicked "listen live" again. And it worked just fine.

I'm using 8.10 32-bit.

sports fan Matt
January 26th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Cool, I'll do that when i get back to town as im out of town tending to my father who hadsurgery for severely blocked arteries in his knees

SunnyRabbiera
January 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM
This is why I dont like novell, apparently they are helping MS port silverlight to linux but they mainly still keep it locked up because of their deal with the devil... and make it only work for suse, novell needs a slap in the face for that.

3rdalbum
January 26th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Moonlight is a pretty good hack, but I'd prefer a long-term solution. Novell and Microsoft can't add hacks and workarounds for every single website like they did with the US Presidential Inauguration. Microsoft should either make genuine Linux and Embedded versions of Silverlight, or kill it and get their customers to use Flash.

jrusso2
January 26th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Is Moonlight effective in viewing pages such as : http://995thewolf.com/MUSIC/ListenLive/tabid/402/Default.aspx as a way to listen to audio radio stations or is it ineffective...

Thats not my taste in music but seems to work for me.

xirtus
January 30th, 2009, 03:11 AM
honestly there are plenty of alternatives to silverlight that actually work well.... and a lot of gnu out there too, so silverlight is doomed to failure... but until then I would like to know how to watch netflix on ubuntu... how can you trick netflix into thinking you are running a mac or a pc with the proper silverlight when you are running moonlight? because I have tried to install moonlight and the codecs and still netflix denies me...

jrusso2
January 30th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Netflix uses Windows Media Player 10 and an active x plugin so there is no getting around that using moonlight.

The best way to watch it on Linux is with virtual box and XP or Vista.

It seems they are working on a Linux port and Mac Port using Silverlight and Moonlight which is behind Silverlight for Linux.