View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help with profiles

January 26th, 2009, 04:18 AM

I am teaching in Cambodia, and have recently inherited a Ubuntu server in which I know nothing about. I am having problems with roaming problems. I would like to turn off roaming profiles on the server but I am not sure how to do that. I can do it on windows, but I have 400 users, and I would have to do it for 400 users on 75 systems. Anyone know how to do this?

P.S. I think it might have to do with a file called smb.conf and I found that file. /etc/samba/smb.conf

January 26th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I'm not exactly sure what you want to do. Do you want to block access to all of those users? Pardon my ignorance, but what is a roaming profile? Google tells me it's an ability for users to log into an NT server.

What are your users doing now, and what do you want them to do?

January 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM
The users now log in to the domain, and the domain sends the log in environment to the computer, so they have the same desktop everywhere. What I want is so that they when they log in, it does not contact the server for their profile, it creates a local one on the machine, so that the server is not bogged down with unnecessary traffic.