PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Change Folder Permissions for ALL folders Under Folder

teh_yodeler
January 26th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I have a folder called "Docs." Under that are all kinds of other folders such as "Pictures," "Music," etc.

Problem is "root" is the owner. My name is "compaq"

If I use
gksudo nautilus I can right click, >>> Properties, >>>Permissions, and change the owner to "compaq." However this does NOT change the permissions for folders below! Only the folder I am currently in!

I have hundreds of stupid little folders that I am painstakingly entering only to change their permissions.

Is there ANY way to change the owner for the entire "Docs" folder, including all folders beneath it?

I did click "Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files," but that didn't do anything.

If someone can help that would be great. I've been googling since yesterday and all I can find it advice on the gksudo method and then click on permissions... which will take me years, and wear out my mouse finger.

Linux is about nifty command-line shortcuts, right? Does anyone have one?

Thanks!!

taurus
January 26th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Open a terminal, Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal, and change to the directory where Docs is located. Then, change the ownership of Docs and everything under it from root to your login name, compaq.

sudo chown -R compaq:compaq Docs
ls -la

teh_yodeler
January 26th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Thanks taurus, I'm about to walk out the door, but I'll try this when I get home.

I'd mark this "Solved" if I could! :p