PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i think i really screwed up

ajlozier
January 25th, 2009, 08:37 PM
i need help.

for reasons that really don't matter anymore, i wanted to attempt to upgrade from python2.5 to python3. when upgrading seem to make no difference i thought i would uninstall python2.5. in the synaptic package manager, i did a complete uninstall. bad move.

within minutes the screen went black. when i rebooted, i was taken to the command line. i slowly began to realize the implications of what i had done.

so my question is - short of recovering all of my documents, etc and then doing a complete re-install of ubuntu, do i have any "better" options for restoring my desktop? i'm reasonably comfortable with the command line.

thanks in advance!

Aaron

taurus
January 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
If you removed python2.5, you can try reinstalling it.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python2.5

ajlozier
January 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
yep i did that. the problem is a lot of stuff that depended on python got removed as well. but, good news. i ran apt-get install gnome and got back probably about 90% of what was lost. was able to reboot back into the desktop. from there what i've done is compare the "packages to be removed" list when i attempt the same action on an ubuntu virtual machine, with the packages i have installed, and i believe i have been able to recover most everything else. i'm impressed with the resilience of ubuntu. even though firefox had been uninstalled with the rest of it, after apt-get'ing gnome i was even able to restore my previous session!

taurus
January 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Maybe it will recover 100%.