PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] some dvds are not being read by ubuntu although vista could.

fuser312
January 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
i am trying to run few dvds(from a computer mag.) but in ubuntu dvd is running but is not being recognized, first i thought it was some hardware problem but same dvd was running in windows smoothly.

the problem is that dvd rom tries to read the dvd (in ubuntu) but is not able to.

Michael.Godawski
January 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
hi,

did you get any error messages?

Have you installed the needed packages to view all sorts of dvds?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs

eragon100
January 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
i am trying to run few dvds(from a computer mag.) but in ubuntu dvd is running but is not being recognized, first i thought it was some hardware problem but same dvd was running in windows smoothly.

the problem is that dvd rom tries to read the dvd (in ubuntu) but is not able to.

Install libdvdcss2 from www.medibuntu.org (browse the package lists, and select the libdvdcss2 package for 32- or 64-bit, depending on what you run.

It's required to bypass the protection on most commercial dvd's. Without that package, ubuntu can't play those DVD's. After you installed libdvdcss2, vlc media player is the player I recommend for watching dvd's on linux, simply install VLC from add/remove software.

fuser312
January 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
i have runned those dvds earlier, its like dvd is running in the tray all the with weired sounds. but there is nothing such in windows

eragon it is not some media files, dvd contains softwares and etc