PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite programming forums?

NinjaWork
January 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some new programming forums to check out. I used to use the newsgroups...are they still as active? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

BTW I've gotten some great info here at ubuntuforums - as in getting my "Oh my god, I was up until 3am messing around and now can't boot my computer the next day!" questions solved in 30 minutes here :p

slavik
January 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
this one and perlmonks.com

CptPicard
January 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
+1 for newsgroups. This place has been in steady decline for about six months now...

Cammy
January 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
The only thing I do that resembles programming is web development (ColdFusion, PHP, etc) and for that my favorite is Sitepoint.com.

Shin_Gouki2501
January 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
+1 for newsgroups. This place has been in steady decline for about six months now...

if your at the bottom it doesn't go any deeper :D

for me its:
http://www.nabble.com/Scala-Programming-Language-f20934.html

Kilon
January 25th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some new programming forums to check out. I used to use the newsgroups...are they still as active? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

BTW I've gotten some great info here at ubuntuforums - as in getting my "Oh my god, I was up until 3am messing around and now can't boot my computer the next day!" questions solved in 30 minutes here :p

Well I do not have a favorite per se. I post to various places depending on the situation. So it will highly depend on the problem I have , If it is a VST plugin oriented , then KVR if it is jython oriented then jython mailing list , if it is a specific library oriented then in the appropriated library forum, mailing list or I just email the developer. And so on....

So many choices , so little time ....

NinjaWork
January 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
thanks everyone and keep them coming.

I did like the Arch forum, for example, for some strange reason I got a kick out of this thread:

What does your home directory look like (hierarchy)? (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=37620) :p

jimi_hendrix
January 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM
any programming forums with the response rate of this one?

NinjaWork
January 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM
any programming forums with the response rate of this one?

ah...that's the thing, I really love a fast forum...I go to a slow forum and forget I posted there after a day or two!

I like the idea of the mailing lists. The newsgroups like comp.lang.perl.misc used to be very fast (but a little dangerous for the newbie!)

jimi_hendrix
January 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
The newsgroups like comp.lang.perl.misc used to be very fast (but a little dangerous for the newbie!)

how so and whats a newsgroup?

NinjaWork
January 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hi JH,

A newsgroup is a group on usenet...it is one of the oldest forums of distrubited messages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USENET

As for being rough for newbies, some of the technical channels are haunted by consultants who's primary mission in life is to bash newbies to make themselves look good and drum up business!

Then, there are the infamous flamewars.

Here's a link to comp.lang.perl.misc (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/topics?gvc=2) which you can access through a newsreader like Pan.

jimi_hendrix
January 25th, 2009, 06:32 PM
so its kinda like a forum?

NinjaWork
January 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM
True, but kind of peer to peer...you post a message and it is sent to thousands of servers around the world which all replicated the same newsgroups and threads.

To access it, you generally have to buy access to a news account, which is very cheap.

DocForbin
January 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
my isp dropped usenet support last year :mad:

wmcbrine
January 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
so its kinda like a forum?No, a forum is kinda like a newsgroup.

To access it, you generally have to buy access to a news account, which is very cheap.There are free services available for text-based groups. Usenet used to be an ISP standard offering, but it's been in decline for a while, and got a particularly nasty kick last year in the form of a witch hunt by Andrew Cuomo, which led to several big U.S. ISPs dropping it.

deepclutch
January 26th, 2009, 06:19 AM
So ,Which forum for C programming and that too gcc lovers?

.Maleficus.
January 26th, 2009, 12:27 PM
DreamInCode is a pretty nice forum with sub-boards for all of the major programming languages and types of programming. I used to frequent it quite a bit but I've been out of my regular forum-whoring schedule for a while now.

Kilon
January 26th, 2009, 12:48 PM
DreamInCode is a pretty nice forum

So many ADs it hurts my eyes !!!!! argh!!!! :(

Python is mixed with Perl !!!! What a nightmare!!! Awful forum...

No wonder there are so few Python developers there .....

noerrorsfound
January 28th, 2009, 01:54 AM
So ,Which forum for C programming and that too gcc lovers?
http://cboard.cprogramming.com/ for C, C++, and C#

cardinals_fan
January 28th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Except for some desperate posts when I was first starting, I don't really post there, but I love Perlmonks. A great site to browse.

Shin_Gouki2501
January 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
the answer above just fits in...
Someone said before this forums answers fast... yeah but what questions?!
How do i use a String in C. How can i build a jar from Java files.
All those can be easily answered by google or even the README(or not) sticky of the forums.

And even if you google those problems you won't get ubuntuforums in the results ;)

aszxcv
January 29th, 2009, 08:56 PM
w3schools and official java forums

NinjaWork
January 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM
the answer above just fits in...
Someone said before this forums answers fast... yeah but what questions?!
How do i use a String in C. How can i build a jar from Java files.
All those can be easily answered by google or even the README(or not) sticky of the forums.

And even if you google those problems you won't get ubuntuforums in the results ;)

good answer! now, RTFM!!! haha :D

NinjaWork
January 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM
thanks, aszxcv, I didn't know w3schools had a forum

Cracauer
January 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Still looking for some forums for useless microoptimizations.

All that stuff around instruction scheduling, locking algorithms, performance counters (hello Linux, how about some in the mainline kernel? *(#*#*@!!!), thread lock minimizing. The finer points of O_DIRECT versus O_SYNC and extensive flamewars about the use of mlock(2).

cboard has some good people but I couldn't stand the software.

dribeas
January 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I am with a full load of work that inhibits me from reading/posting as much as I would like to. But, had I the time, I would read/write more in stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com) and here each so often.

About the type of questions that are answered... well, in most cases the same kind of questions that are asked. More often than not questions here are either basics or really specific on a particular problem with a particular application. Well, that and language wars, there's a whole lot of them around here.

In stackoverflow there is a wide collection of questions, ranging from basics to hard-core language questions, libraries, design and even the sociology and psicology of software development (those are the least, the focus on the place is programming). You can learn quite a lot just from reading random snippets, Q&A and the like.