PDA

View Full Version : Suse Studio -- Ubuntu needs this

sb73542
January 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Custom Suse Linux distros, buildable and testable from a web interface....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10148796-16.html?part=rss

Ubuntu needs this.

gletob
January 25th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Looks cool but you need to get an invite to use it. :(

perlluver
January 25th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Can't you do the same with Arch, or Crux, or Linux From Scratch? Pick what you want installed, and keep out the clutter.

OutOfReach
January 25th, 2009, 06:32 AM
It looks very intriguing, I'll keep my eye on this.

earthpigg
January 25th, 2009, 07:37 AM
that looks like it rocks.

binbash
January 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting

PryGuy
January 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for sharing it with us, sb73542! Looks amazing!

ibutho
January 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Can't you do the same with Arch, or Crux, or Linux From Scratch? Pick what you want installed, and keep out the clutter.

You can, but this appears to be a much easier solution because you can make a custom version of SUSE without even installing anything on your own systems. Its similar in a way to rBuilder (http://www.rpath.org/) used by rPath.

sb73542
January 25th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Yes, but the difference is that you don't need to fiddle around with package lists and chroot environments and compressing / uncompressing images. And it appears that you can actually test your distro directly from the Suse Studio server via VNC before you download the ISO or other image. And for those who have slow internet connections like me, this would be a big help, because you don't have to download individual package dependencies to your system to put the image together, it all happens online.

I hope this all works as well as advertised. I'm still waiting an invitation too, but it'll eventually leave alpha stage and open up to the public.

butlins
January 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Spiffy

SunnyRabbiera
January 25th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I will not use any novell software, so no thanks :D

bfc
January 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM

So, why are you using Linux, Novell is a large contributor to the Linux kernel and to open source in general.

SunnyRabbiera
January 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM
So, why are you using Linux, Novell is one of the largest contributors to the Linux kernel and to open source in general.

Well only some, as Ubuntu only has a few things from novell natively...
Mono is one of them, but that is on gnomes hands.
I just dont like the way Novell has been, they are seemingly becoming another MS puppet.

bfc
January 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Well only some, as Ubuntu only has a few things from novell natively...
Mono is one of them, but that is on gnomes hands.
I just dont like the way Novell has been, they are seemingly becoming another MS puppet.

But, you continue to use the Linux Kernel, which contains many contributions from Novell. Heck, Novell contributions to the Kernel is up almost 300%. They are now they 2nd largest corporate contributor to the Kernel, slightly behind Redhat. Canonical is not even in the top 30.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/linuxkerneldevelopment.php

I don't agree with everything Novell has done, but, to say you will never use Novell software is just silly and frankly almost impossible if you are using Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
January 25th, 2009, 01:53 PM
But, you continue to use the Linux Kernel, which contains many contributions from Novell. Heck, Novell contributions to the Kernel is up almost 300%. They are now they 2nd largest corporate contributor to the Kernel, slightly behind Redhat. Canonical is not even in the top 30.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/publications/linuxkerneldevelopment.php

I don't agree with everything Novell has done, but, to say you will never use Novell software is just silly and frankly almost impossible if you are using Linux.

I dont care about contributions, heck SCO had claims on us too and you know what happened there but still you can distance linux and novell if you know how, anyhow I bet soon Ubuntu will contribute more as Ubuntu is entering the foundation so I heard.
Look right now its hard to say, but I will never use suse at the very least...

MellonCollie
January 25th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Neat idea. :)

earthpigg
January 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
isn't there a website that does the same thing for ubuntu, unofficial and unsupported but still stable?

Dragonbite
January 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I dont care about contributions, heck SCO had claims on us too and you know what happened there but still you can distance linux and novell if you know how, anyhow I bet soon Ubuntu will contribute more as Ubuntu is entering the foundation so I heard.
Look right now its hard to say, but I will never use suse at the very least...

I've read that Ubuntu is shipping the go-OO version of OpenOffice.org which is developed largely from Novell and touts greater Office compatibility than Sun's version.

All this "I'm not using Novell because of their deal with Microsoft" drivel is annoying, petty and pathetic.

Companies do business. Microsoft Windows has the largest market share. Microsoft Office is the most use Office suite currently. Adobe Photoshop is the most used image manipulation program for Graphic Designers.

As for Suse Studio, it will be interesting to see how well it works.

LuisAugusto
January 26th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Amazing...

The market place idea sounds great too (once you create your custom distro, you upload it to the market place where other can download it if they like your package and configuration).

-------

To the Novell basher: Puff, you better no be using Banshee, F-Spot, Mono, Compiz, AppArmor, Network-manager, Evolution, OpenOffice (go-oo), Beagle, kickoff, XGL, among others inventions... and the supported projects are too many to list them here so:

http://en.opensuse.org/Novell_Supported_Projects

And that doesn't include the Novell contributions to the kernel, 8%, with Red Hat being the only one ahead (11.2%). Ubuntu, is unbeatable, it makes 0.1% of the contribution to the kernel! Oh, it also has 0.00001% of XOrg ones (oh, I don't clearly remember how many zeros, but they were a lot).

Yeah, Novell is soo bad, it actually improves Linux and FOSS.

Get over it, Novell and Red Hat are the only 2 companies which just don't package things (cough, cough, debian, cough, cough).

Novell agreement has brought good things, while it didn't bring anything bad, aside from FUD from Stallman and other closed minded FOSS members.

ibutho
January 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM

If you won't use Novell software, then don't use GNOME, openoffice, mono, evolution, gnumeric, KDE, banshee etc. These projects have a lot of code from NOVELL. You should even stop using Linux because Novell contributes a lot to the kernel as well.