PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Re-installing" Ubuntu 8.10 !

alexjean
January 25th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hello fellow Ubuntu lovers !):P

I recently discovered Ubuntu so I really need help from you guys here at Ubuntu forums.

I had an incident which led to the system not being able to log in. I type in user name+password, the pointer and my wallpaper appears for a second then the screen covers in a weird repetitive pattern all of a sudden and I'm brought back to the log in screen.

So I guess I should just "re-install" the operating system.
I boot the Live-CD from my USB-bootable drive and just click Install. When it comes to the partition stage I get confused.

I want to use the same partition for the "re-install" as I installed it on before.
So I should use 'manual', right? I go there and on the disk I want to use are 3 partitions:
/dev/sdb1 type: ntfs
/dev/sdb5 type: ext 3
/dev/sdb6 type: swap

I'm pretty sure 'ntfs' is the one that was left after installing last time and 'ext 3' and 'swap' were created when I set Ubuntu up last time. Doesn't that sound right?

If so, I delete 'ext 3' and 'swap' and make a new partition with the 'free space'. But what options do I chose there? and don't I have to make a new swap partition too ? :-k I would use 'guided' partition but it seems that if I use that sdb1, sdb5 and sdb6 are deleted and one big partition is made for the system... ?

Could someone tell me what to do at this stage (how to partition manually)?

taurus
January 25th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Yes, use the Manual option and mount /dev/sdb5 to / and format it. You don't have to do anything with /dev/sdb6 since the installer knows how to handle swap partition. If you want to mount /dev/sdb1 somewhere, you can do that too; otherwise, you can always mount your ntfs partition later if you wish.

tommcd
January 25th, 2009, 06:13 AM
You could delete /dev/sdb5 and /dev/sdb6, and then create 3 partitions in the newly allocated free space:
a root partition for Ubuntu
a swap partition
a home partition for your files

You will need to choose manual partitioning for that. Root and swap could be primary or logical partitions. Make home a logical partition. The root partition can be 10-12GB if you have enough space. Make swap 2x RAM up to 1 GB, and the rest for home. Is /dev/sdb1 a Windows install, or just a NTFS data partition? If it is Windows you can set that to bootable. If it is just data then you could set Ubuntu's root partition as bootable.

alexjean
January 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Thank you ! That was too easy hehe...\\:D/

Here is a Cobra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_(film)) 'poster' I "made" for all your hard work.. !

(The cobra is from a trailer and I recreated the 'STALLONE COBRA' logo...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v304/xanderz/cobraposterS.jpg

... I'm a fan ...