PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] using ubuntu usb stick on ANOTHER computer..what will happen to stick?

bosworthy
January 25th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Hi,

I have a working Ubuntu usb carrot stick on my laptop. I'm curious what will happen to my Ubuntu if I were to use it on my desktop, which has a totally different CPU architecture.

Laptop: 32 bit version of ubuntu on a 64 bit AMD. (don't ask why--well, one reason was that I'm thinking it would have more softwares and driver support.. is this true in Linux world? I know windows 64 have fewer applications and fewer driver support).

Desktop: 64 bit Intel Quad.

Questions:
-will putting it on my Intel machine do any harm to the perfectly working Ubuntu stick?

-will Ubuntu automatically detect the hardware and load the appropriate drivers? I know windows will crash w/ blue screen if I did the above, unless I first uninstall the IDE harddrive drivers and maybe the video too.

Would be cool if Ubuntu can pick itself up automatically every time. :)

mikewhatever
January 25th, 2009, 04:31 AM
There shouldn't be any problems architecture wise, since 32 bit systems run on 64 bit hardware. I don't know about the rest though.

bosworthy
January 25th, 2009, 05:43 AM
will it write to the usb stick thus when I run it back on the laptop it would have problem? I rather ask then try it and get stuck and have to reinstall. :)