PDA

View Full Version : [other] which version?

Bigneil
January 25th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Share your thoughts and experiences of

Feisty
Gutsy
Heron
ibex

Which release would you recommend?

are there any differences between them?

what are the their pro's and cons?

would you choose a different disto'?

2hot6ft2
January 25th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I use Intrepid Ibex 8.10 Ultimate 2.0 32 bit on my laptop and Hardy Heron 8.04 Ultimate 1.9 64 bit on the desktop.

I say try the most recent version first that way it is the most up to date.
That would be Intrepid Ibex right now.

If for some reason you have problems with it you can always go to a previous version which may work better on some machines.

You didn't give any system specs so that's all I can say without knowing more about what it's going on.

chronographer
January 25th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I use intrepid Ibex because I needed support for a recent motherboard. I would probably recommend Hardy Heron as it is a stable long term support release unless you need to use a particular, recent package.

SunnyRabbiera
January 25th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hardy, as Ibex is unstable

Bigneil
January 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM
well, i am running hardy on my desktop pc with good results. it does lock up from time to time particularly when firefox is started while another 'system heavy' program is running. But otherwise it's great. I even have the compiz cube running smoothly ;)

I am replacing my hard drive soon, and intend a fresh installation of XP and Ubuntu to dual boot.

I cant help thinking that i am missing out on something by not having the most up to date release of ubuntu. But, what sort of bugs are cropping up in ibex? A few folk are saying it is less stable than Hardy.

I have an old pc that has been frankensteined and upgraded over the years

Via KT600 mobo, AMD athlon 2200+ xp cpu (also getting replaced soon), 1.5 gig good quality RAM, and, Radeon 9200 se graphics card. creative sound card.