PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pickign the right nVidia Card?!

iheartubuntu
January 25th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Ive been getting into Inkscape a lot and notice my system slowing a bit (especially with blurs). Ive got a 32-bit system, 3.4ghtz processor (just one of them), and 4GB of ram. My video card is an ATI Radeon X300 with 128mb ram on it. I'd like to upgrade to nVidia since this is what my work computer is and I have had better luck with it compared to ATI. Can anyone recommend an nVidia graphics card?

Im looking for at least 500mb on board and something under $100 if possible. I dont remember offhand what nVidia card I have at work.. if memory serves me it is an 8600 series. Will I be OK with picking any nVidia card? Im also considering a 9600 since it appears to be around $100...

http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/

Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks!

damis648
January 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Pretty much any nVidia card will do, I would recommend a 9600 series.:popcorn:

iheartubuntu
January 25th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the tip!

Would anyone know if my motherboard can use a "PCI Express 2.0" video card? Right now my ATI Catalyst Control Center says my bus type is "PCI Express". Will 2.0 work as well?

sandy8925
January 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM
That depends on your motherboard. If you have a system benchamrk tool for Linux install it and try to find out your motherbaord model. Else if you have Windows download CPU-Z and PCWizard from www.cpuid.org . After finding out the motherboard model and company either google or go to the company's website and check the motherboard's specifications.

(phew)

By the way ATI isn't all that bad. You just have an old card that's all. And also you don't necessarily need to have a really fast or good card.