PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Very Low Sound

rob_gf
January 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on an Everex Stepnote 1502. I have never used linux before, but I like what I see so far except I cannot hear any sounds. I have put the volume on the taskbar to max, the volume on the notebook to max, and neither works. I can hear a little sound when on Youtube, with the youtube volume at max. The audio worked fine while using vista yesterday.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Michael.Godawski
January 25th, 2009, 10:19 AM
hi,

have a look at this general guide first:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

then please post the result of this Terminal command:

sudo lshw -C multimedia

rob_gf
January 26th, 2009, 01:36 AM
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: VIA High Definition Audio Controller
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 1
bus info: pci@0000:04:01.0
version: 10
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 module=snd_hda_intel

diablo75
January 26th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Double-click on that little speaker icon in your upper panel. Click on the Preferences button.

Check off all sound sources (e.g., "Front PCM", "Front", "Surround PCM", "Surround", "Center PCM" etc.). Basically anything that looks like it could produce sound.

Click OK.

After the sound levels have been added to your mixer, play with the new levels that have been added while playing some music in the background.

habtool
January 26th, 2009, 02:17 AM
alsamixer -Dhw

rob_gf
January 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Double-click on that little speaker icon in your upper panel. Click on the Preferences button.

Check off all sound sources (e.g., "Front PCM", "Front", "Surround PCM", "Surround", "Center PCM" etc.). Basically anything that looks like it could produce sound.

Click OK.

After the sound levels have been added to your mixer, play with the new levels that have been added while playing some music in the background.

I did that and it worked fine.....Thanks all for your help

diablo75
January 26th, 2009, 03:40 AM
:) Slam dunk!

deeflex
June 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
alsamixer -Dhw

Thanks this helped me by raising the "Side" channel to max!