PDA

View Full Version : IRC networks & channels that you hang out on and the client you use?

reprobus
January 25th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I hang out on collective.2600.net in #telephreak and I use the Irssi IRC client and my IRC handle is Sniper606. If you are into telephones, VOIP, Asterisk, etc then come join us. So where do you guys hang out and what client do you use?

odium1
January 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM
i usually sit on the 2600 server (collective.2600.net) also.. i frequent #telephreak, #infoleak, #phreak, #worldnews, #telephony, #secnews, #2600 and sometimes #infoinject.. my nick is odium1

i also sit on the freenode server (irc.ubuntu.com) and i hang out in #ubuntu, #suse, #fedora and #ubuntu-offtopic. my nick on that server is odium1 also.

i use xchat :D

zmjjmz
January 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Here comes a deluge...
On irc.osx86.hu I hang out in #itouch, on irc.rizon.net I hang out in #zomgfta, in irc.freenode.net I hang out in ##club-ubuntu, ##ibmthinkpad, ##nomgpp, ##teenlinux, #+1, #damnsmalllinux, #firstrobotics, #grubbn, #icebuntu, #inx, #mhscc, #ubuntu-us-nj, and #ubuntuforums. On EFnet I hang out in #dellmini
My nick is zmjjmz (I can also be zmj|*, where * is the name of the computer I'm using) and I use XChat.

Dr Small
January 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I'm generaly not on IRC much anymore, but when I am, I am on irc.freenode.net as DrSmall on #ubuntuforums-beginners

chris4585
January 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM
on irc.icq.net my nick is Chris|, I hang out at #geeks

on irc.freenode.net my nick is chris4585, I hang out at #ubuntuforums, #ubuntu-offtopic, #club-ubuntu, #inx, #grubbn, #+1

pretty much the ones I'm active in

perlluver
January 25th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Ready for another mess of names, when I am on Irc, I am on irc.ubuntu.com as perlluver, in these rooms, ##beginners-classroom, ##beginners-help, ##beginners-dev, ##club-ubuntu, ##nhandler, ##ubunteens, #gnuteens, #grubbn, #ubuntu-meeting, #ubuntu-motu, #ubuntuforums, #ubuntuforums-beginners, #ubuntuforums-unanswered using X-Chat.

MikeTheC
January 25th, 2009, 06:19 AM
xchat or xchat Aqua; freenode.net, and typically #ubuntu, #scribus, or some other random one.

Spr0k3t
January 25th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I primarily use irssi with some custom scripts and plugins not found in the repos.

I hang out quite a bit on irc.freenode.net.

The primary reason why I use irssi over most graphical clients is the ability to relocate my irc client to an ssh connection without dropping any of the history. I can connect with irssi to any of my favorite channels (most of them are based around Ubuntu) through my phone, where I work, or any where I have internet access.

reprobus
January 25th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I primarily use irssi with some custom scripts and plugins not found in the repos.

I hang out quite a bit on irc.freenode.net.

The primary reason why I use irssi over most graphical clients is the ability to relocate my irc client to an ssh connection without dropping any of the history. I can connect with irssi to any of my favorite channels (most of them are based around Ubuntu) through my phone, where I work, or any where I have internet access.

I like using irssi with gnu screen. Before I learned about screen I would use two different nicks, one for home and one for while I was at work and so on. I can leave my chat session going at home then when I log on from work I can just detach my screen session from the home pc and attach it to my ssh session at work. Then when I get back home I can reattach it and I haven't missed out on anything. For those who don't know about screen then check it out, its a must have app.

http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/

Polygon
January 26th, 2009, 04:57 AM
i use xchat, but im never on freenode cause i usually only go there for #ubuntu, and i hate that channel. So many jerks.

kevdog
January 26th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I just find it strange that the crowd on #ubuntu is very different than the crowd in the forums -- its like the two a separate entities with no association (except in name only) with the same product. You mention links in the forums, or specific threads, and its like you are totally ignored.

Polygon
January 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I just find it strange that the crowd on #ubuntu is very different than the crowd in the forums -- its like the two a separate entities with no association (except in name only) with the same product. You mention links in the forums, or specific threads, and its like you are totally ignored.

yeah, the people who do hang out on the forums are on a different irc channel, i forget which one. But #ubuntu is just too big, the screen goes by so fast that even if you do ask a question it goes out of sight too fast for people to read it, and ive had one too many wannabe moderators harass me about suggesting things like getdeb to people who are having a hard time compiling stuff.

Joeb454
January 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
it's #ubuntuforums ;)

And I'll join in too. I usually use Xchat on freenode and I'm in ##beginners-help
##club-ubuntu
#ubuntu-programming
#ubuntuforums
#ubuntuforums-beginners
#ubuntuforums-unanswered

Amongst others, I also have an irssi session on my server (as Joeb454_) connected to most of those channels.

I also connect to my lug server :D

bonzodog
January 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Freenode:

#zenwalk
#archlinux
#archlinux-offtopic
#freenode
#defocus
##linux

I also hang out on two other servers, but the channels are for Those Who Know, and I am not at liberty to divulge the details.

I use Weechat as my IRC client.

red_Marvin
January 26th, 2009, 07:33 PM
client: irssi
server: irc.freenode.net
nick: tlvb
channels ##electronics,#avr,#python,#ubuntuforums,#ubuntu-programming,#archlinux