PDA

View Full Version : Who needs much of an Operating System

natibo
January 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
I am a big fan of Linux. My operating system: GNU-Linux/Ubuntu8.10/GNOME.

In my latest computer escapades, I find I am relying leas and less on an OS. It all started in my quest to find the right financial software package. I mostly tried Moneydance, GnuCash and Kmymoney. I liked KMyMoney the best. However, in the end I fell in love with the online service Yodlee. Easiest set up I ever had and it does everything I want.

Next, I was really liking Tomboy. But I needed access to my notes at various places like work and my mobile phone. I then discovered evernote and postica.

I like openoffice but with google docs, I have access to my docs anywhere and can better share them with my accountant, lawyer, etc. Liferea is a good rss reader, but google reader works just fine. Gmail rocks.

With all of the really good and free webapps out there, my particular OS becomes less relevant. This is good for linux becasue it is free.

kevin11951
January 24th, 2009, 11:25 PM
However, in the end I fell in love with the online service Yodlee.

You should NEVER use an online app for working with your finances!

(IMHO) At least I never would...

Procuro
January 24th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Window's dependence is certainly getting smaller and smaller for people as linux advances and it's great that more people are starting to see that. And I don't know much about Yodlee but make sure it's safe and reliable enough for that kind of stuff.