PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] possible to use Feisty Fawn still?

reakin
January 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hi,

All versions of Ubuntu since Feisty Fawn run poorly on my laptop - the touchpad is erratic, the video card conflicts with the linux-rt module, firewire audio runs poorly, etc.

I tried going back to Feisty Fawn today, after giving up on trying to configure Intrepid. But, the repositories seem to be no more, so I cannot use apt at all. Is this so, or is there somewhere where the updates are residing?

Its really amazing how problem free my computer runs on this version (Feisty), and then I switch to anything later, even Gutsy, and I have headache after headache from hardware problems.

regards,
Rich

Pumalite
January 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Support is no more.

howefield
January 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
The feisty repositories are no more, given that this version has reached the end of it's life, (last October I think).

reakin
February 2nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Well this is a sad thing that I have to ditch Ubuntu now because the newer versions are too buggy on my laptop, yet when I first started using Ubuntu things ran great.

I'll try posting my bugs again before, but I cannot take my mouse clicking 1000 times in random places any more.

And the thought of getting Debian Sid working with all my proprietary hardware for audio/music production... there goes a week of productivity.

kostkon
February 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Officially the repos are down, but the repositories continue to exist in

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/
but, obviously, they are not updated anymore.

Just edit your sources.list file to point to the new url. To edit your sources.list file, open a terminal and do

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
when you finish, in a terminal again, do a

sudo apt-get update

reakin
February 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Okay, that is what I was hoping. From there I can compile what I need from source (without having to update everything).

I'm currently trying out Sid, ahh the things that Ubuntu makes so easy that I miss. But it doesn't have the same bugs that I have noticed in Ubuntu for the last couple years.

regards,
Rich

snowpine
February 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
Have you checked out Sidux? It's kind of a Debian Sid remix, very easy to use (relatively speaking) and has pretty good hardware detection.