View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple simultaneous sound sources

January 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell dimension with the standard motherboard sound functionality. When using Skype the sound output is set to default device and the sound in from the USB camera with built in mic. The system works great until I use another program with sound functions - be that movie player or streaming video with sound in Firefox, The second program will then use the sound channel and Skype sound stops functioning. The result is that Skype is still running but doesn't ring anymore and I can no longer initiate a call. Even when I stop the video in the other program there is still no sound in Skype. I have to close all sound using programs to restore sound functionality to Skype.
Is this typical in Ubuntu to restrict sound capability to a single program at a time or can I do something to allow multiple outputs simultaneously?
Thanks in advance for any help...

April 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Have exact the same problem. But only with skype. I can run Videos, listen to music at the same time without any problems, only skype doesnt allow multiple sound sources.

I tried OSS, Pulse, and Alsa. Without any success.

Anyone has any clues?

April 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
You can fix that