PDA

View Full Version : Hardy NVidia Drivers

uncle hammy
January 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Are there any plans to have Hardy be able to install the NVidia drivers beyond 169.12 direct from the repositories?

Thanks,
Scott

txcrackers
January 24th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I installed the nvidia-glx-new-envy on my wife's Hardy installation (without using envy, by the way), so it it possible...

uncle hammy
January 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Did you have to do anyting other than selecting and installing it from synaptic?

uncle hammy
January 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
OK, I ended up installing envyng-gtk, and using it to try to install the more current drivers (173 at this point). However, it cerated an absolute mess that I was never able to get myself out of.

I ended up doing a fresh install, not selecting the NVidia drivers during the installation. I then did all available updates, and THEN installed envy and tried installing the 173 drivers. It worked like a charm, so I know envy works.

Here's my catch. I want to install envy / 1732 drivers on my backend/frontend machine as well (it solves a tearing issue I was having), which already has the 169 drivers installed via the restricted drivers manager. However, after the fiasco I had testing this out on my frontend machine, I am a little afraid.

Anyone want to tell me the best apporach to install envy -> use it to install drivers, when the NVidia drivers have already been installed via the restricted drivers managers?

Thanks,
Scott

uncle hammy
January 27th, 2009, 01:08 AM
OK, I have tracked down the issue that cause my problems trying to install the drivers with envy on my other system. I started trying to get the drivers installed on my other machine, by manually removing nvidia-glx-new first. My machines are AMD64, and they are 64bit installaitons....nvidia-glx-new cannot be removed!

Trying to remove it leads to an error....

dpkg-divert: error checking `/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx-new (--remove):
subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2

Here's the thing though, the file 100% exists. In the system I am currently working on, it is a symlink to /usr/lib32/libGL.so.169.12 which also exists. I am am really at a loss, all the "fixes" I have found with this issue revolve around creating simlinks to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 however, that obvisouly doens't work, because the simlink I am trying to create exists.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

uncle hammy
January 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM
bump