PDA

View Full Version : A google operating system, when?

Dustin2128
January 24th, 2009, 09:27 PM
When do you think google is going to come up with its own operating system? And do you think many people would use it? Google seems like the kind of company most apt to release its own operating system at this time.

binbash
January 24th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I won't use it.I dont like chrome nor any software of google.Because they use it to monitor or collect stats.

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I generally like Google products. I think if they made one it probably wouldn't make it; It would never leave beta.

kaivalagi
January 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Already got google android, and it has been successfully installed on netbooks (for what it's worth)

I don't think they'll bother making a full on desktop OS...they'll just create tools to go on top...see gOS as a starter for 10 - http://www.thinkgos.com/

Dustin2128
January 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
no, you're right, it will never leave beta, and they probably will use it to collect stats.

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
no, you're right, it will never leave beta, and they probably will use it to collect stats.

I wish they would just have a little ticker or something that we could check off if we didn't want them collecting anything.

RATM_Owns
January 24th, 2009, 09:46 PM
There already is a Google operating system.
It's internally used. http://wikipedia.com/wiki/Goobuntu

Dustin2128
January 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I wish they would just have a little ticker or something that we could check off if we didn't want them collecting anything. Yeah, I do too, but unluckily, it won't happen. As for goobuntu, that looks awesome, I never expected it to be based on ubuntu! However, I'm looking forward to it going mainstream, simply because, that will make google software avalible for ubuntu! I'd assume they'd use a .deb file extension. Think it'd be popular if it went mainstream?

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I do too, but unluckily, it won't happen. As for goobuntu, that looks awesome, I never expected it to be based on ubuntu! However, I'm looking forward to it going mainstream, simply because, that will make google software avalible for ubuntu! I'd assume they'd use a .deb file extension. Think it'd be popular if it went mainstream?

I heard somewhere that they had no plans to release it to anybody outside of Google.

EDIT:

And after reading the Wikipedia article, I notice that it says that they said they have no plans for marketing it.

Dustin2128
January 24th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I heard somewhere that they had no plans to release it to anybody outside of Google. yeah, just read that too, quote"it's almost as if they enjoy crushing our hopes and dreams"unquote I don't think it'd be so great to be considered hopes and dreams though. They're probably using a specialized distribution to minimize hacking risks if you think about it.

Paqman
January 24th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Think it'd be popular if it went mainstream?

Ubuntu is already pretty popular, i'd say.

Sticking a Google logo on it would undoubtedly coax a lot of folks to try Ubuntu though. If only because of the ludicrous amount of free publicity the media would give it.

eragon100
January 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
With all due respect for google, they *can't* refrain from releasing it to anyone outside of google. Ubuntu as a product is AFAIK licensed under the GPL, at least almost all of the included packages. So, if someone asked for it, they would be forced to give it to that person, who would then be 100% free to redistribute, modify, etc. If they refused to release it, then: LAWSUIT!

Bölvağur
January 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM
1. They will never make an entirely new operating system, it is too much for so little.

If they'd make new OS they had more problems with getting software ported to their OS and drivers written for it, than Linux already has.

2. They already have the Goobuntu distro which will not be maintained regularly and they do not want to take any responsibility of it outside their own company.

3. They already have Android which isnt an OS but a platform, which has been run on a desktop computer. That platform is in Google's view the future as they think desktops are the thing of the past.

ade234uk
January 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I would rather Google collect info about me that M$. As far as I am concerned they have given me free products like gmail which has made my life easer, so it does not bother me in the slightest.

t0p
January 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
With all due respect for google, they *can't* refrain from releasing it to anyone outside of google. Ubuntu as a product is AFAIK licensed under the GPL, at least almost all of the included packages. So, if someone asked for it, they would be forced to give it to that person, who would then be 100% free to redistribute, modify, etc. If they refused to release it, then: LAWSUIT!

Your understanding of the GPL is faulty. Google are absolutely at liberty to modify Ubuntu or any other GPL'd product and keep the changes for their own use in-house. They have to release source code only if they make their changes generally available.

As for Google monitoring everything the user does: they're no worse than Microsoft. Both companies are evil!! ;p

billgoldberg
January 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
When do you think google is going to come up with its own operating system? And do you think many people would use it? Google seems like the kind of company most apt to release its own operating system at this time.

They already have, the linux based android OS.

It will come to netbooks soon and other types of systems.

I believe there is already a eeepc port.

cb951303
January 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
why would google do such a thing? a desktop os? it's not profitable.

Android is another thing though. Mobile phone industry was in need of a free alternative OS.

billgoldberg
January 25th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Android is another thing though. Mobile phone industry was in need of a free alternative OS.

There are already other devices available that come with Android.

Also, I've read that it may come preinstalled with netbooks in the future.

cb951303
January 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
There are already other devices available that come with Android.

Also, I've read that it may come preinstalled with netbooks in the future.

It doesn't matter, Android is designed to run on smartphones, anything other than is just extra

diablo75
January 25th, 2009, 03:33 PM
What, Android's not an OS? ;)

creek23
January 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM

Google could always make Debian or Ubuntu-based Google GNU/Linux distro. ;)

It's not profitable BUT it will make them the next software leader (if not, already) :D

northwestuntu
January 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I won't use it.I dont like chrome nor any software of google.Because they use it to monitor or collect stats.

i've heard that a lot, but dang it! i like there services so much :)

sp0nge
January 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I like Google. Increasingly so until recently. Now I'm starting to worry. Sure, they resisted the inquiry for indexing data when the US government inquired, but the recent turn to more and more app-focused actions make me wonder if they aren't following Microsoft's Anti-trust footsteps.

Sure, the OS exists. It sounds fantastic actually. Those who have used Chrome, I'd like to hear any negative feedback you have (with exception of web-development issues). I love gmail and the suite of tools that are available with Google registration in general. They certainly want to continue to be on the cutting edge and the only way to do this is to increase market share. They can't get any better as a search solution. The only options are to exploit other markets. OS, applications (Google Docs, Calendar, blog, the labs are sweet if you're a developer). But it is true, they will continue to catalog and store data on user.

This is where it gets scary. Google now has GDrive (http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41094/140/) and they keep going... and going.. and going...

jmejedi
January 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM

... interesting idea! ......... hopefully soon!!!

:)

Mason Whitaker
January 25th, 2009, 07:53 PM
If they base it on the Linux kernel and integrate all of their online apps with it ( and no, I'm talking talking Mozilla prism ) I would actually consider using it.

Google has a knack for making nice products.