PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Memory Upgrade

COMTIBoy
January 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Ubuntu (8.10)

Sorry for such a simple lame question, but just wanted to be sure my Ubuntu system is going to boot ok after a memory upgrade? (from 1 to 4gb). I don't have to do any OS configurations afterwards, correct ?

Thanks!

theozzlives
January 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Are you, or can you run 64 bit Ubuntu?

COMTIBoy
January 24th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I'm currently running on a 32 bit machine . Its a Dell Optiplex GX280.
I'm not feeling a warm and fuzzy here. Am I going to have problems ? :)

If so, can you point me to some info that will make the upgrade less painful ?

Thanks for the reply. That was fast

howefield
January 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to Ubuntu (8.10)

Sorry for such a simple lame question, but just wanted to be sure my Ubuntu system is going to boot ok after a memory upgrade? (from 1 to 4gb). I don't have to do any OS configurations afterwards, correct ?

Thanks!

Should be no problems upgrading the ram, other than not seeing it all if you are using Ubuntu 32 bit. You'll only see about 3.2 gig.

To access all of it, you need the PAE enabled 32 kernel or 64 bit Ubuntu if your machine can run it.

COMTIBoy
January 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM
That's fine. 3.2 GB visibility of 4GB would be ok. I've got a lot of stuff on this machine (db2, data studio, etc...) and being new to Ubuntu I'd hate to mess things up.

Is the PAE thing you mentioned something really complex (or time consuming), or risky ?

howefield
January 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
If you are happy with 3.2, I'd leave it at that until you are more comfortable with upgrading the kernel.

Risky isn't the word I'd use, but yes, it could go wrong ;-)

COMTIBoy
January 24th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. This group is really great.